Bottle caps not sealing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveHeff

Reaction score
Hi all. I recently purchased different colored bottle caps on ebay, in order to better differentiate my beers while they're in the fridge. Most recently, I bottled a beer, about 2 weeks ago, and I do not have carbonation in either of the two bottles I've opened. I used a 1 liter PET bottle as one of my bottles and it feels very firm now. I can see yeast forming in the bottom of the bottles, so I know that there is the appropriate activity from the priming sugar.

Has anybody had an issue where the bottle caps they used were an inferior product and didn't seal appropriately? I've bottled 30 or so batches and I've never had an issue like this before.

I've never had that problem, but I don't think I ever used more than 2 types of caps, gold and silver, both from MoreBeer. I would think it's definitely a possibility though. If the plastic on the cap lid is really hard then it would have problems sealing. I assume you are using the same bottles you have had success with in the past?

Were there any of the same beer capped with different caps that did carbonate? If not it might just be that they haven't had enough time. I find that most will have some carbonation at 2 weeks, some take longer, ALL taste better at 3 weeks or longer.

Hi all. I recently purchased different colored bottle caps on ebay, in order to better differentiate my beers while they're in the fridge. Most recently, I bottled a beer, about 2 weeks ago, and I do not have carbonation in either of the two bottles I've opened. I used a 1 liter PET bottle as one of my bottles and it feels very firm now. I can see yeast forming in the bottom of the bottles, so I know that there is the appropriate activity from the priming sugar.

Has anybody had an issue where the bottle caps they used were an inferior product and didn't seal appropriately? I've bottled 30 or so batches and I've never had an issue like this before.

Was there any sound of CO2 escaping when you opened the first two bottles?

Was there any sound of CO2 escaping when you opened the first two bottles?

No CO2 sound. Perhaps they are taking their time carbing up.

I'm using bottles that I've used before. Never had an issue with them before.

The bottle caps are standard, as far as I know. I'm going to give them another 2 weeks to carb up and open another one. I'll report back with my findings.

Unlikely, but wear on the capper cone?
Hard plastic on the caps? A friend boils all his caps before use. I never have.. just soak in Star San.
I have had this same problem using my very old (60's) bench capper. It continually put dimples in the caps. I tried to solve that problem by putting some epoxy into the area surrounding the 'rivet' in the capper. This prevented the caps from making a tight seal. I could actually rotate the caps on the bottles by hand. However, they did seal sometime during the conditioning period. I'm going to grind the epoxy out of the capper to save it.. but. that type of a problem may also be similar to yours.. the capper not going far enough down to crimp the bottoms of the caps.

I had this EXACT issue. Make sure the caps you ordered are for beer and not just crafts, etc. turns out I ordered different colors (same reason as you) and they leaked, didn't carb, and eventually the whole batch was ruined. I only use caps from brew shops now and just write on them with markers. Recently I moved to kegging so for the most part I'm done with bottling anyway.

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I had this EXACT issue. Make sure the caps you ordered are for beer and not just crafts, etc. turns out I ordered different colors (same reason as you) and they leaked, didn't carb, and eventually the whole batch was ruined. I only use caps from brew shops now and just write on them with markers. Recently I moved to kegging so for the most part I'm done with bottling anyway.

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

This lost dog may have just wondered his/her way to the answer. I'm going to email the ebay vendor and find some answers. Thank you for posting.

***Update***

Looks like they are linerless "decoration" bottle caps. Not for actual bottling. I think I'll be popping a few tops off and dropping in some additional priming sugar before capping WITH THE CORRECT CAPS this time. Thanks again.

This lost dog may have just wondered his/her way to the answer. I'm going to email the ebay vendor and find some answers. Thank you for posting.

***Update***

Looks like they are linerless "decoration" bottle caps. Not for actual bottling. I think I'll be popping a few tops off and dropping in some additional priming sugar before capping WITH THE CORRECT CAPS this time. Thanks again.

You will want to drink that batch sooner rather than later as oxidation will likely set in from having O2 enter the bottles past the bad caps. Glad you found the culprit! I ordered 3/4" white circular labels that I can stick on top of the bottle after writing whatever I want on them. It works great for ID unless you want to put them in a cooler with ice water. For that Sharpie on the cap is the best method.

Back