bottle capping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manny_E

Reaction score
is there an easy way to determine if the bottle cap is tightly secured? i am using 2 type of bottles belgium style 22 and 12 oz. I noticed after capping the 22 oz bottles, the capper leaves a ring on the top of the cap but on the 12oz it does not.

my recent batch (OG 1.085), i opened one of the 12 oz bottles and it came out flat. BTW i used (1st time) fuzzy drops per instruction. I am wondering where the problem is...

any feedback / tips greatly appreciated...

Thanks

Visual

beer_cap.jpg

What king of capper are you using? Do both of the pictured bottles have standard American 26 mm caps, or is the 22 ounce with 29 mm caps?

I primarily use Sierra Nevada bottles. I never get a ring with those. I do get a ring on some of my bomber bottles though. I've yet to have a carbonation issue with the Sierra Nevada bottles with no ring indentation. I use a wing capper.

What king of capper are you using? Do both of the pictured bottles have standard American 26 mm caps, or is the 22 ounce with 29 mm caps?

both have a american standard bottle cap..

Midwest Supplies Red Bottle Capper

I primarily use Sierra Nevada bottles. I never get a ring with those. I do get a ring on some of my bomber bottles though. I've yet to have a carbonation issue with the Sierra Nevada bottles with no ring indentation. I use a wing capper.

I am wondering, if just needs a little more time due to the OG... 10 days into bottling..

or

the fizzy drops (1 per 12 oz & 2 per 22 oz) may be the problem b/c of high OG... I always used prime corn sugar, but decided to used the FD b/c i had them...

the bottle on the left is being capped to hard. go easy. if you are leaving marks on the cap you are using too much force. it doesnt take much to get a good seal

I am wondering, if just needs a little more time due to the OG... 10 days into bottling..

or

the fizzy drops (1 per 12 oz & 2 per 22 oz) may be the problem b/c of high OG... I always used prime corn sugar, but decided to used the FD b/c i had them...

3 weeks in bottle is ideal. 10 days in bottle usually isn't enough time. Of course this could vary based on abv. I've never used sugar drops. I usually use 4 oz of table sugar for 5 gallons.

3 weeks in bottle is ideal. 10 days in bottle usually isn't enough time. Of course this could vary based on abv. I've never used sugar drops. I usually use 4 oz of table sugar for 5 gallons.

I am going to let them sit for 2 more weeks (little over 3 weeks mark) and try again...

I have never used the sugar drops... always done the priming mix...:rockin:

Latest posts

Back