Bottle capping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5-meo-moln

Reaction score
Has anyone had problems with the 2 handed capper not putting a tight seal on the cap? I've had a few bottles from a 5 gallon batch not seal and every bottle from a gallon batch of cider not seal on newcastle bottles. When you shake the bottle an hold the cap to ur ear, you can hear the fizz escaping. Wondering if anyone else has reused newcastle bottles with no problems? Thanks

When I look online I see two different styles of bottles, one with a wide flange at the top where the capper grips it, and one with a narrow flange. (They seem to call it the Finish?)

The wider flange is better for wing cappers.

112930_159.jpg

newcastle-brown-ale.jpg

Bass also has the narrow flange and will not work with wing capper, as I learned. Looks like Pilsner Urquell bottles are the same. +1 for brown bottles unless you're drinking them right away.

Sam Adams, New Belgium, New Glarus, Toppling Goliath all work for me, although NG is the best because the labels float off with hot water, the rest need Oxiclean hot soak....

We do keg now, but still bottle small batches, some meads and ciders, and will bottle our big beers when we make them. I've got a floor corker, but the bench capper I am still looking for a good one that is not half plastic. I've busted the top off of three bottles so far, such a she-man.

I've also noticed some wing cappers work better than others. I bought one and acquired 2 others from friends who tried homebrewing but didn't stick with it. All 3 are the same but only one of them works properly. The other don't put a tight enough seal on the bottle.

Sounds like your issue is the bottle but I just wanted to add that all wing cappers aren't' equal.

Definite difference (intentional?) in different manufacturer's bottles. I can't successfully recap Corona or some 7 oz. champagne bottles without leaks or cracks with my Red Baron capper, so I've stuck with bottles that work with my capper. When capping, always give the cap a twist to see if it's tight. If it turns, it's loose and will not seal. Get different bottles, crowns or capper.

Stella bottles also have narrow flange and don't seal very good. Have tried New Castle and they didn't seal either. Now I have been buying Sam Adams Octoberfest because the beer is great and their bottles work great for my home brew. Btw, I use a wing capper from Northern Brewers.

Has anyone had problems with the 2 handed capper not putting a tight seal on the cap? I've had a few bottles from a 5 gallon batch not seal and every bottle from a gallon batch of cider not seal on newcastle bottles. When you shake the bottle an hold the cap to ur ear, you can hear the fizz escaping. Wondering if anyone else has reused newcastle bottles with no problems? Thanks

Gotta take note of certain bottles like New Castle, Corona, Spatten ect as they look the same as standard bottles. However, slight variations on the barrel crimping end ( top) make a big difference when sealing. Throw standard bottles out the universal window as there are sealing variations when different bottle manufacturers are involved. Just saying

Back