Bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottles usually shatter from what I hear, they can just break off at the bottom often also. I dont want to know from personal experience but thats why I check on carbonation with aging batches. If they are overcarbing I get that whole batch in the fridge and pretty quickly too.

Sometimes the cap comes off, sometimes the bottle breaks right at the base of the neck or the bottom breaks off. If you have this going on there was too much sugar either remaining in or added to the beer. If you have one blow you may have others getting ready too. Get them cold if you can and move the others to an area that you don't mind having beer get all over, like a garage.

I've had it happen to me once. The bottle was destroyed. Luckily mine was in a cardboard 12 back beer box, so that took most of the glass shrapnel. Ever since then when I bottle, I keep them in some type of container so glass doesn't fly everywhere, and I learned to bottle at the correct time also lol

So, for the period of time that I am learning/ while still carbing using priming sugar, it would likely be a good idea to keep the bottles in a closed box and the box in a big black garbage bag?

So, for the period of time that I am learning/ while still carbing using priming sugar, it would likely be a good idea to keep the bottles in a closed box and the box in a big black garbage bag?

I wouldn't bother. Just make sure the beer is done fermenting before you bottle, and measure your priming sugar by weight.

this is a dumb question, so does that mean if you only have 4 gallons of beer to bottle to only use 4 oz of priming sugar?

this is a dumb question, so does that mean if you only have 4 gallons of beer to bottle to only use 4 oz of priming sugar?

Correct. That's pretty standard. You can adjust that up or done of you want more or less carbonation.

Correct. That's pretty standard. You can adjust that up or done of you want more or less carbonation.

Alright.. Because my first batch is almost ready to be bottled and i didnt listen and fill over the 5 gal mark, so now between transferring it from primary to secondary and secodary to bottling and taking hydrometer readings, i now only have 4 gallons. :confused:

Everytime you rack your beer or wine to a new area, you are going to lose some. Think of it this way, you still have 4 gallons of beer. The great thing about Making your own, is that the next time you will do something different than last time. I usually start off with about 5 1/2 gallons of beer, due to losing some due to racking. Good luck

Latest posts

Back