Bottle bombs in the making?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FantasticBastard

Reaction score
I brewed a Left Hand Milk Stout clone with an OG of 1.072 and after 4 weeks in the primary it was at 1.030 with a target of 1.016. Seems like it was definitely a stuck fermentation.

I went ahead and primed and bottled it. Are they going to explode or am I okay?

I brewed a Left Hand Milk Stout clone with an OG of 1.072 and after 4 weeks in the primary it was at 1.030 with a target of 1.016. Seems like it was definitely a stuck fermentation.

I went ahead and primed and bottled it. Are they going to explode or am I okay?

Was the target 1.016 even after the lactose?

pabloj13 said:
Was the target 1.016 even after the lactose?

That's a good question. Maybe not. It's a recipe that I got off of this forum somewhere. I had a LHMS here that I sampled side by side with what was going into the bottle and it was a very close match. Is lactose not fully ferementable?

That's a good question. Maybe not. It's a recipe that I got off of this forum somewhere. I had a LHMS here that I sampled side by side with what was going into the bottle and it was a very close match. Is lactose not fully ferementable?

Lactose isn't fermentable at all by ale yeast. You may very well just be done at 1.030.

How much lactose did you add? If it is about 35-40 points per pound per gallon, each pound you added would probably raise FG by about 7-8 points (for a 5 gallon batch). If you added 2 lbs, that would raise FG by 14-16 points, explaining the difference between expected FG and measured FG.

Back