Bottle apfelwein from a keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1990dtgl98

Reaction score
Hey guys, just curious. I made some apfelwein that some of my bosses really want to try.

I use the method on here, of turning the pressure down, using a modified bottling wand and stopper to fill growlers/bottles. However, without the head that you get from beer filling all the headspace, thus reducing the amount of oxygen to skunk the beer, how long do they last.

I ask because I can usually get a beer to last about a week with my method. Does apple juice oxidize more readily, or having that little bit of headspace cause it to skunk faster? I want to give them a 6-pack each, but they probably would need 3 days to drink this batch. :cross::cross:

It really depends on how long the beer will be sitting in bottles.

If I am bottling for competition I take no chances and purge each bottle with C02 after the bottles have been cleaned and sanitized. From there I set the C02 regulator to 7 PSI and fill the bottles using the blichman beer gun. If I'm just filling growlers to hand out as samples at the tasting room I just run some sanitizer through the growlers and sanitize a piece of tubing that fits into the faucet. I just fill each growler from the bottom and cap on foam. That's just for beer that will be consumed within a few hours of filling the growler.

At a minimum I would purge each bottle with CO2 to try to alleviate the oxidation as much as possible.

Oxygen doesn't cause skunking, exposure to light causes skunking. Isomerized alpha acids (what you get from boiling hops) react to light exposure by forming a chemical similar to that of the spray of a skunk. More info here.

Apfelwein doesn't have any hops in it and therefore wouldn't have an issue with light exposure that I know of. I've left a corked bottle in my wine rack for weeks with no issues. However it was a still wine and not carbonated like yours. My guess is that your only issue would be losing carbonation.

Now oxidation, caused from exposure to oxygen and creates cardboard or sherry-like flavors, generally takes a long time and a lot of O2 to stale your brew or wine. Sure, the splashing from transfer might introduce a bit of O2, but if you (or your boss) let a 6 pack sit long enough to get these off flavors you're not doing it right.

Back