Borrow a cider press in NH / VT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hvjackson

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all, I have 2 apple trees in my yard and thought it might be fun to try making cider, but I'm not ready to shell out $300+ for a press if I may only be doing one batch.

Would anyone be willing to lend me their press for a few days? (And/or we can barter for some homebrew...)

I live in Lebanon NH but would be willing to travel a little ways around NH or VT.

Or if anyone else has thoughts on how to get one cheap or temporarily?? (Couldn't find anything on craigslist, and my LHBS doesn't rent them.)

I don't know what your homebrew store is like up there but mine down here in Florida rents theirs. So maybe you can check to see if you can rent one at a homebrew store near you?

You can also try to make a cider press. There are some videos of it on YouTube.

I don't know what your homebrew store is like up there but mine down here in Florida rents theirs. So maybe you can check to see if you can rent one at a homebrew store near you?

You can also try to make a cider press. There are some videos of it on YouTube.

Yeah I called my local HB shop but they don't rent one. There aren't really any others close by but I guess I could try looking further afield.

I did see some instructions online for how to make a press with a bottle jack or a hardware kit, but it's still going to be well over $100 + many hours of work.

If I knew this was going to be a long-term hobby I wouldn't worry too much about the time or money investment but since I think this is probably just going to be a one-time thing (or at most once a year), it doesn't really seem worth it.

I think I saw one press made with a car jack. But just to say a hard cider always makes a good Christmas gift.

Bring your apples down to Hudson MA and you can use my rack and cloth press.

It will take about 4 bushels per pressing (14 to 15 gallons)

I don't live in VT but could give me a good idea what being a part of a homebrew club is like?

I don't live in VT but could give me a good idea what being a part of a homebrew club is like?

I think it depends on the club. Our club is just over a year old and we mostly get together to share our beer/potluck, visit breweries, or brew/press cider. We gave no dues, hierarchy, or rules.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and offers to help. I decided to buy a press from Amazon (an "open box" special) and build a grinder out of a garbage disposal. Total investment so far is about $350. Judging from the number of "cider press wanted" ads on Craigslist I think I should be able to recoup some of my costs if I decide this hobby isn't for me.

Just picked about 400 apples from the 2 trees in our yard. I have no idea what kind they are but they taste good! Should have plenty to do a 5 gallon batch.

Back