Boring old cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChickenBeer

Reaction score
I read a lot of stuff in the sanitation/cleaning section and just wanted to throw this out there for everyone in this section. We all know that cleaniness is next to drinking good quality beer. But I usually clean with soap and water, boiled water rinse, then sanitize with star cleaner in hot water as directed. I have no beer smelling equipment or stains or anything but I always have the fear that I am waiting for the amazing new microb that will spoil lots of beer. Any one have any solutions for number or uses of canes, tubes etc. for me? Or as long as i'm not staining or smelling just tell me to get over it and keep brewing.

You're fine. As long as you clean right after using - don't let stuff cake on - cleaning is really not that difficult.

Why rinse the soap out with boiled water? That step is to clean, not sanitize. You sanitize later, when you are ready to use the equipment. Does that make sense, or am I missing something?

Heck, I do not use even use soap unless I dont have a chance to clean right away. I was afraid of the residue so I just use really really hot water. Now I do use tons of Starsan when its time to bottle or brew.

I will use Oxy if I have some scummy stuff.

i usually clean with soap and towels.

if tubing looks off-colored, i scrub it. if it doesn't clean up, i replace it.

I use plastic conicals, and every third or fourth brew i disassemble and bleach everything.

other than that, clean clear water. this won't work for a commercial brewery, but it works for me

Cool thanks everyone, I just wanted to get some perspective because I have worked in food health before and just get overly concerned with cleanliness sometimes.

Heck, I do not use even use soap unless I dont have a chance to clean right away.
That one. With the exception of the krausen ring, it's all just sugar water, which rinses away easily with hot water. Everything gets a thorough rinse, then hang to dry. My Better Bottles will occasionally get an overnight soak with PBW (Powdered Brewery Wash) if there's a stubborn krausen ring.

I'm going to sanitize everything before use anyway, so as long as it's clean to the eye, it's clean enough for me.

I've been using the same Better Bottles, plastic autosiphon and wine thief for over 2 years and feel no urge to change them out yet.

JMO, YMMV of course :)

-Joe

Back