Bored During a Snow Storm Stir Plate Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernik

Reaction score
Last night I pulled six fans out of two computers while watching the football games.

This morning I woke up early with my back killing me and snow falling outside. So what's a guy to do while waiting for the storm to stop so he can run the snowblower?

Start on the stir plate build. I'm about 1/2 done. I need to cut the top plate and buy the fan magnet and buy a stir bar.

The fan was mounted in the frame to begin with. I wired it to an old Motorola RAZR cellphone charger.

The fan is 12V, 0.11A. The charger is 5V, 0.55A. My concern is that I may not be supplying enough power to turn a 1L starter. If that's the case, I can easily disconnect the charger and connect it to an old iPhone charger and block. It will supply 5V, 1A.

The rheostat I had lying around in my cellar from another project.

The top plate I'm going to cut from the side of my old Sony Veio computer box with a dremil.

I haven't decided if I want to sacrifice the Vieo hard drive magnet to this project.

Total cost so far $0.00

image.jpg

Almost had a bonus score today. A friend gave me some rare earth magnets. But they are too heavy for my fan. They push the fan down into the housing and stop it from turning.

I'll be looking for magnets for it thursday.

Turns out the circular wire fan guard throws a lot of magnetic interference. So it's been removed.

The cord was replaced with a broken iPhone charger.

Total amount spent on the project = $7 -> the stir bar. Everything else I pulled out of the old Sony Vaio computer or I had lying around the house.

image.jpg

Back