Bootleg Bio - OB Belgian Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not gonna get much for experience - it was just released as a beta blend a month or so ago. Chances are, you are the experience here!

I wouldn't be surprised if that strain is something they wrangled or received from a backyard sample. Belgian yeasts, to my knowledge, are much closer to wild yeasts. It's a good question.

Any guess as to which brewery it originates from?

They said it comes from a well known traditional maker of Oud Bruin.

Edit: maybe Petrus? Is La Folie considered an Oud Bruin? If so could be from that, if you consider it to be a “highly regarded traditional” example.

They said it comes from a well known traditional maker of Oud Bruin.

Edit: maybe Petrus? Is La Folie considered an Oud Bruin? If so could be from that, if you consider it to be a “highly regarded traditional” example.

La Folie is primary fermented with lager yeast so it’s not that. Gotta be a more traditional

La Folie is primary fermented with lager yeast so it’s not that. Gotta be a more traditional
Right - something from Belgium. I asked this a couple months ago when it first came out and got no response.

Right - something from Belgium. I asked this a couple months ago when it first came out and got no response.

Jeff emailed and said he loves the brewery and that this is a very unique yeast. Not sure that helps but sounds very cool!

Tough to find an “old” producer that doesn’t pasteurize their beer. Interested to know how the beer turns out.

Finally brewed with this yeast this past weekend.

87.5% Pils
12.5% table sugar

OG = 1.074

Made a 1.5 L starter with the 3 month old pouch from Bootleg Bio, fermented out quickly which was a good sign for remaining viability.

Pitched a bit higher than I’d prefer (late brew night and didn’t have ice). Was down to 66F within 6 hr but fermentation has started by then:

B6DF64A8-D82C-4335-BEE1-5FE065A5317B.jpeg

Let free rise from 66F in ambient environment (no water bath) and reached 76F by next evening. Fermented out this morning and yeast had dropped completely, zero krausen:

7D0CD24C-33EB-4AEE-95D0-7AAE602EF8F6.jpeg

Didn’t try to crawl out of the fermenter either, only about 1” krausen at peak, unlike 3522 and 3787 that I’ve used before.

Will update once bottled and carbed.

I've brewed 4 beers (single, dubbel, triple, quad) with this yeast so far and all have been excellent. It is a diastaticus and with a healthy fermentation will ferment out to 1.002-1.006, even at high OG. Ester profile for me has been very aromatic, with a signature candied pineapple flavor. Some banana, light clove, and a big bubblegum aroma very similar to that of Westvleteren. It ferments well at both low and high temps, I've found low 70's to be ideal for mix of flavors. Really nice yeast.

Latest posts

Back