Boom Island Brewing (Minneapolis) Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tylerverry

Reaction score
So, I wanted to try my hand at harvesting commercial yeast. At about the same time, my buddy got a bottle of a couple of Boom Island Brewing's Brimstone and another Belgian, both with a significant amount of yeast on the bottom. So I figured this would be a great opportunity to try.

Whipped up a weak 500ml starter and 36 hours later I have a definite kausen. I'm planning on cold crashing and decanting before adding to my 2L of the same strength, and then hopefully use this yeast to make my first belgian.

However, my question is, does anyone know if Boom Island uses a bottling yeast or is the yeast they use for conditioning also the fermenting yeast?

I read a couple articles about how the head brewer basically traveled the world to find this yeast, so I kind of want to try it, and I would be sad if I just spent a bunch of time to get a slurry of SA-05.

TL;DR Does Boom Island Brewing use their fermenting yeast to bottle condition?

Well, the starter is getting fruiter and fruiter. I think I've got a winner.

Latest posts

Back