Bons Voeux Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeNomad

Reaction score
I recently acquired a bunch of empty Bonx Voeux bottles from Brasserie Dupont Brewery from my favourite local watering hole, the Sugarbowl.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone knew the pressure rating on these bottles? They are similar in weight to a Belgian 750 mL bottle. I was thinking of putting between 3-4 atmospheres of C02 into them. Yes, I did do a search, no luck and I am not sure if any other companies use the same type of bottle.

BonsVoeux.jpg

Do the best you can. They look similar to other 750 ml bottles. See if you can find anything on a similar type of green glass bottle. They should definitely be more resistant to bottle bombing than brown glass twist off bottles.

If it's a Belgian beer, which it appears to be, then it's going to be a higher carbed beer, hence the use of a bottle that looks like a champagne bottle. You should be fine. It's meant to hold higher carbed beers.

3 to 4 volumes shouldn't be a problem at all. I can't recall where I saw it, but somewhere had champagne carbed to to 6+ vols. However, not all "champagne" bottles are created equal. My HBS bottles are around 500 grams, but Belgian 750s are much heavier, with Cantillon being over 900. Obviously, the heavier the bottle the more pressure it will hold. 5 volumes in even the lighter 750s hasn't been a problem for me and I can't really think of a beer I'd take higher than that anyway.

Ok thanks guys. I'm actually thinking of using these for mead in case my secondary yeast ferments more than the priming sugar.

Latest posts

Back