Homebrew Shoppie gave us too much LME!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timtastic

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm brewing an IPA from a kit, it goes as follows:

9.0 lbs Light LME
1.0 lb Brewers Malt
1.0 lbs Cara Red

2.5 oz Magnum (Bittering)
1.75 oz Centennial (Finishing)
2.25 oz Centennial (Dry Hop)

1 tsp. Irish Moss

Wyeast 1056

The problem (?) is that our homebrew shop gave us 10.5 lbs LME. We don't have a scale or any way to get the 9.0 lbs that the recipe calls for. Are there any calculators or ways to supplement this recipe, so that we can use the whole 10.5 lbs of extract without endangering the flavor or characteristics of the beer?

Thanks!

Did they include the brewers malt (and what was that exactly - light DME?), if they did and it is light DME I would not put that in and use all the LME. If they didn’t include it they might have not had that and sub’d more LME to make up for it.

Thanks guys, we ended up using some tips from this site: http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter3-4.html

We put the whole 10.5 pounds in, realizing that our OG and FG would be off from what the recipe calls for. We brought the final volume to about 5.5 gallons in the fermenter, and threw in some extra hops we had lying around during the boil...this is beginning to sound like we just guessed the whole night, but I swear, math was done and things were written down haha. All in all, everything turned out good. Our OG hit where we calculated it would, we've got airlock activity, temps are good. I'll get around to posting the details later tonight once I get our notes straight.

Thanks!

Hop utilization is non linear, but small batch (homebrew sized) recipes proportionally scale well.

Also, partial boil recipes differ quite a bit from proportionally scaling a full boil recipe. The gravity of a partial boil is very different from the overall gravity. That's a different debate, but it's not a good comparison here.

Latest posts

Back