Boiling wort prior to souring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

505-Brewer

Reaction score
Ive always boiled 75-90 min before sour worting then fermenting (i dont boil post souring). Im considering splitting a 10 gal batch tomorrow souring half with lacto and then bittering and hopping the other half like an IPA and fermenting solely with a standard yeast.

I see folks simply heating to 180F (to kill bugs from mash but not form DMS), others boiling for only 15 min (esp. Berlinner weisse) and then folks like me just boiling as normal.

Any thoughts on best approach to split the batch and minimize time but not end up w DMS bomb. Main issue is I'd like to get bittering hops in the non sour portion and get the quick sour version done quickly.

Im thinking hold it at 180F 20 min, run off half then continue w reg beer.

OR

Boil all as normal w 5 ibus, run off half to sour then just add huge WP addition for IPA half instead of bittering hops approach.

I had intended to sour 6 gal w lacto from grain and 6 w lacto planarum culture but the planarum starter never got sour. Maybe I'll make up another grain starter instead but I have LA3 yeast ready to go...........i also have all sorts of bugs/brett combos but i want these beers to turn around quickly. decisions decisions.....

Thoughts?

From my (albeit limited) experience with lacto souring, the boil beforehand was necessary to ward off DMS. Of course, others have had good results to the contrary. I like the idea of boiling for a full length to a few IBUs, then pulling of the half for souring. However, instead of just going straight to a whirlpool addition for the IPA half, I'd treat it more like a hop burst. Maybe continue boiling for 15-20 minutes. With a decent hop charge, you can get respectable bitterness in that time, and of course a ton of flavor. Then off course, give it a WO addition anyway.

Hommel,

Thank you for that link. I had not seen that before. Seems like solid data. I think you just saved me sometime on my boil for sours (esp. those that are destined for term aging).

Latest posts

Back