Boiling tips...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartyMiller

Reaction score
Simple question, should I cover my pot while I boil my wort?? Will that help "trap" additional aromas and flavors or will that cause other issues with boil over? Thanks in advance, long time reader, first time poster. Steeping my grains as we speak!

Will not "catch" flavor. but will the wort will heat faster and thus increase the risk for boil over. i leave the on until I reach a good boil then take the top off and let it go to town. if you leave the lid on you will trap more moisture and might not boil off the expected amount.

Also search DMS. It's an off flavor causing compound that is released in the boil off steam. Covering the boil would prevent this leaving it in your beer. I don't think there's any problem covering it as it heats up though; just take it off when the boil starts...

Demus said:
Also search DMS. It's an off flavor causing compound that is released in the boil off steam. Covering the boil would prevent this leaving it in your beer. I don't think there's any problem covering it as it heats up though; just take it off when the boil starts...

Beat me to it.

It is less of a concern with extract brews and a big concern with all grain that you do not want to cover the pot and trap in DMS. I do not remember what that stands for and am not going to look it up right now but in general you can cover until you reach a boil then take the lid off!

Beat me to it also!

DMS is only a concern in all-grain since the extract has effectively been boiled down to a syrup / solid already. The only reason to boil an extract batch is for hop utilization.

And to sterilize

Yes, that's important, but anything over 140 degrees will accomplish that. Boiling is not strictly necessary.

In fact, I've never tried it, but in theory, you could just boil your hops in plain water and only add your extract after knockout. You'd even get better hop utilization. The ultimate late addition, so to speak.

Yes, that's important, but anything over 140 degrees will accomplish that. Boiling is not strictly necessary.

In fact, I've never tried it, but in theory, you could just boil your hops in plain water and only add your extract after knockout. You'd even get better hop utilization. The ultimate late addition, so to speak.

Not to get off topic but I thought hops needed sugar to get good utilization.

I honestly don't know. I'm an all grain guy. I know that hop utilization increases while the boil gravity decreases, but there could be a floor on that.

Using extract or all grain it does not matter. Have you ever boiled hops for 60 min in plain water? It would be interesting to see the results.

BansheeRider said:
Not to get off topic but I thought hops needed sugar to get good utilization.

I can't remember exactly why, but hops in water doesn't work. I think the much higher pH of straight water extracts chlorophyll from the leaves resulting in excessively grassy flavors. NOT what's meant by "lawnmower beer"!!!

Back