Boiling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

segallis

Reaction score
My last two brews were extracts using 9 pounds of DME and steeping about 2 pounds of grains. Both were partial boils, about 3 gals, in a 4 gal pot on my gas cooktop. Both had messy boil overs when I took my eye off the pot at a bad time (probably 35 to 45 mins into the boil).

My last batch was mostly mash (10 pounds of grain) and 3 pounds of DME and a full boil in a 9 gal kettle on a turkey fryer (mush higher output than my gas cooktop). Despite a more violent boil, I never got the boil over I was expecting - not even much foam during the boil.

So my question is does a more violent boil lessen the chances of a boil over? Or a more diluted wort? Maybe the larger diameter kettle? Or is it mash vs DME?

Just curious what to expect in the future

It's pretty much about the dme to water ratio. Initially I find the more vigorous the boil the better to get a good hot break but then I turn it down a bit to just maintain a rolling boil. In the second batch you mentioned you had a lot less dme than the first which is likely why you didn't boil over. If consistent boil overs are an issue I would get a bigger pot for one or what I did when I first started out doing extract which was to heat your water to about 140-150, then mix in the dme and then bring the temp to boiling. It seemed that the gradual temp increase with the dme mixed in really helped to avoid boil overs.

Latest posts

Back