Boiling Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjfarwell

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a boiling question that I haven't been able to find an answer to.

When boiling the wort, I put the immersion chiller in at the 45 minute mark in a 60 minute boil. It takes a bit to get the wort back to a boil. Do I restart my countdown once it starts boiling or do I stop at 60 total even though part of that last 15 minutes is used to bring the wort back to a boil?

Sorry if it is a stupid question but I'm just trying to figure some of this all out :)

Thanks!

Hi everyone, I have a boiling question that I haven't been able to find an answer to.

When boiling the wort, I put the immersion chiller in at the 45 minute mark in a 60 minute boil. It takes a bit to get the wort back to a boil. Do I restart my countdown once it starts boiling or do I stop at 60 total even though part of that last 15 minutes is used to bring the wort back to a boil?

Sorry if it is a stupid question but I'm just trying to figure some of this all out :)

Thanks!

Not a stupid question at all since obviously someone else besides you was wondering the same thing (namely, me...)

I would think it doesn't matter too much (ie, don't pause your clock) but I'm looking forward to other replies....

No need to restart or pause your timing. Just continue on. One thing you can do, if you are using a propane cooker is increase the gas until it comes back up to a boil.

Maybe I am missing something but why would you put your chiller in before the boil is done?

If it's because you want to sanitize it, why not sanitize it in your primary bucket - unless of course you are using a carboy for your primary. But then still, I would think the wort at flameout would be hot enough to kill anything.

Maybe I am missing something but why would you put your chiller in before the boil is done?

If it's because you want to sanitize it, why not sanitize it in your primary bucket - unless of course you are using a carboy for your primary. But then still, I would think the wort at flameout would be hot enough to kill anything.

Sbarnard, I agree with you that temp would probably be enough to kill the bug, but most write-ups I've seen on using an immersion cooler say to do just what the OP is asking about - immerse in the boiling wort for a few minutes...

put in the chiller slowly over the course of 30 seconds or a minute and if you're using a propane burner, turn the gas up while you put the chiller in. in my experience you only need about 5-10 minutes...

One thing to do is make sure you've drained (or blown) all of the water out of the chiller before putting it in the pot. It takes alot longer to get back to a boil if its still full of water from the last time you used it. I also agree with turning up the propane burner when you drop it in... just remember to turn it back down when it gets to a boil again, or you will have a guaranteed boil over! (Trust me, I know, its happened to me!)

No need to restart or pause your timing. Just continue on. One thing you can do, if you are using a propane cooker is increase the gas until it comes back up to a boil.

This is what I do. I put mine in at like 10 min. Doesn't take long to sterilize. Usually my burner is turned way down to keeps boil rolling. I crank my heat all the way up, and slide the chiller in. My boil may stop for a few seconds, but usually keeps right along. As it starts to boil more than I like, I turn it down slowly to the original flame height needed to keep at a boil. Doing this, I rarely even loose my boil at all.

Don't ever reset you clock. You don't want to over boil you hop schedule unless you want some really bitter beer.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help. I do usually turn the propane up. I had read in a few places to immerse it for the last 15 minutes of the boil for sanitation. I do ferment in a carboy but I usually have a sanitation bucket handy to where I could also do that. I think my biggest issue is the leftover water...it seems to take 5-10 minutes to get the boil back up...so maybe I'm not cranking the propane enough too.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help. I do usually turn the propane up. I had read in a few places to immerse it for the last 15 minutes of the boil for sanitation. I do ferment in a carboy but I usually have a sanitation bucket handy to where I could also do that. I think my biggest issue is the leftover water...it seems to take 5-10 minutes to get the boil back up...so maybe I'm not cranking the propane enough too.

If you have a sanitation bucket, just dunk it in there and can let it sit then no need to worry about dropping it in during the boil. In reference to what some of the others said in the other referenced thread, I'm also wary of the tubing the sticks up and may drop condensation in the wort. So while sitting in my sanitation bucket, I do periodically splash some of the water and foam up a ways on the tubing to make sure anything in or hanging above my wort is sanitized.

I've skimmed through that link someone left and wow yes it seems to add confusion lol. After reading and summarizing I'm thinking of soaking in Star Sans during the boil and adding at flameout to not kill my boil....

Back