Boiler to Fermenter Transfer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmarkus

Reaction score
I (mistakenly) added all of the hot/cold break AND all the hop sediment (used pellets) from the bottom of my wort into my fermenter. As it was an IPA, there was a LOT of hop sediment. Anyone else ever do this? How bad is this, my second batch, going to taste? Thanks for the help!

It will taste fine.

Some problems might be if you harvest the yeast, there will be less yeast.

Also, you might get more hop matter in the bottles. I brewed a Heady Topper clone and didn't do anything to filter out the hops in the boil and put them all in the fermentor and I had so much hop matter at the bottom that it never all settled out and some would get in the glass.

I think the best way to combat hop matter in the fermentor is to use a hop spider or just hop bags. When transferring to the fermentor, you can filter with a paint strainer bag (or not) and then you won't have that much going into the fermentor. And if you dry hop, put the hops in bags.

Thanks for the quick responses, guys. I'm quite the worry wort sometimes.

I did this yesterday by accident and then read up on it. Apparently it's common to pour everything into the fermenter and it should not noticeably affect the taste of the end product.

Its not going to mess up the beer but when you rack into your bottling bucket it may clog your bottle filler. I just did a black IPA and strained some of the debris but its hard to get it all as it will clog the strainer also. You just need to be carefull when racking and bottling.

With less hoppy beers when you strain into your primary, at bottling time there is very little sediment in the end product.

Back