Boiled Irish Moss for 40 minutes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TipsySaint

Reaction score
So i had a 90 min recipe and didnt notice that fact till the 60 minute mark. Was able to pull out my hop spider and keep boiling, but i generally throw my irish moss directly into the boil....what if any issues can i expect from boiling 2.4 grams of irish moss for 40 minutes or so?

I believe it will break down and be less effective. I think thats the theory, but ive never boiled my irish moss for 40 minutes. I wouldnt sweat it. Keep some gelatin around if it looks like you need to fine the beer before kegging.

I believe it will break down and be less effective. I think thats the theory, but ive never boiled my irish moss for 40 minutes. I wouldnt sweat it. Keep some gelatin around if it looks like you need to fine the beer before kegging.

I've been reading the same online, either that or it could hurt your head retention. But if it did something drastic, it'd be easier to find information on. I think you'll be fine.

that was my thought as well, but i couldn't find anything on it so i figured i'd turn to the place with more beer brewing experience than anywhere else!

Latest posts

Back