Boil Times?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChelisHubby

Reaction score
Why do some of the Irish ales require a 90 minute or more boil? I am tempted to try to loosely clone Ballast Points Piper Down but they say the do a 3 hour boil, Does the longer boil change the flavor of the grains and if so what are the general differences. If you are doing a 90 minute or more boil when would you add the bittering hops? At first boil or at 60 minutes and would there be a difference either way? :)

Pilsner malt needs to be boiled longer to remove DMS. If you're doing extract there's no need. Some recipes use a longer boil time to increase gravity or for caramelization and maillard reaction.

Pilsner needs a longer boil to drive off DMS. A longer boil on a recipe designed for a certain length of time will concentrate the wort giving a higher OG. It will also lower the volume. If I did a 3 hour boil at 1.5 gallons per hour I would end up with only 2.5 gallons left instead of 5.

So, it depends on the recipe, volume and your equipment.

Longer boil times can also lead to higher melanoidin production which can make for a maltier flavor. This can be desirable or not depending on the style.

SO the longer time increases the malt flavor, Does it matter if you add the bittering hop at the beginning or at 60 minutes. does the longer boil change the bitterness? :confused:

Yes, you would want to add the extra boil time before your bittering hop addition. So for a 3 hour boil you'd boil for 2 hours before your 60min addition.

It would be extremely unusual to do a 3 hour boil. I would look carefully at the recipe and see why. A 90 minute recipe could be designed for a 90 minute hop addition or as little as 1/2 hour and achieve about the same bitterness. It is all determined by how much hops is added at what time. For instance a smaller amount added at 90 minutes could give approximately the same bittering as more of the same hop at 60 minutes.

So just starting a recipe for 90 minutes and adding the hops at 60 minutes might not give the desired results.

You need to be able to do as the recipe calls for or use design software to make adjustments for your system. I could not possibly boil enough wort in my kettle to go 3 hours. I barely have enough for a 90 minute boil.

I don't have a recipe so I will just try to wing it. So far all I know is what the bottle and web site says. That is Maris Otter for a three hr boil and fuggle hops ABV is 5.8 and Ibu is 22 or so. they claim a lot of flavors also but I can only guess at other grains and sugars. I don't need a great clone just want something similar.:)

I know a lot of Alt recipes require a 2 hour boil. This makes it darker along with the melanoidens etc. As far as the hops go, we always do a 90 minute boil and add the hops at 60. However, the amount of bitterness achieved in a boil over 60 minutes is small. In other words, the amount of ibu's for a 90 minute boil time compared to 60 would be so little you probably wouldn't notice it.

I am not a professional brewer, but I have never heard of a 3 hour boil. Do you have a link to the information you are looking at? 2 hour boil is the highest I've ever heard of, with 90 minutes being the normal "long" boil and 60 minutes being the standard boil.

Back