Boil Time in NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dextersmom

Reaction score
Lately i've been wondering about boiling for 60 minutes versus 15 or so when making a NEPIA. My last batch I did not add hops until post boil whirlpool. This got me thinking if it was actually necessary to spend that full 60 minutes boiling versus just long enough to sterilize the wort.

Would I be missing out on something by cutting my brew time down?

I should've mentioned I'm partial mashing and partial boil - with carboy top off (maybe not by my next batch).

There's not a lot of magic in boiling wort, but there is some math involved.
If you can hit your volume, gravity and IBU targets with a 15 minute boil, go for it...

Cheers!

DMS is the only real reason i can think of you would need to boil hard for 60 really. I am looking at knocking my boils down to 30 for my NEIPA's

Cheers
Jay

I accidentally just did a 20 minute boil on a NE IPA today using my new toy, a Zymatic. Must have fat fingered the recipe into the editor... we will see how it turns out in a week or so. This would never have happened on my 3 vessel system but I guess the advantage of doing the small batches is that I won't cry if I have to dump a batch. Will post back with results.

This post reminded me of the basic brewing 15min pale ale.

DMS is real so if using grain keep that in mind.

I boil EVERYTHING for 90 minutes. I use the time to clean up my mash equipment. To me the time savings isn't worth the chance of DMS.

Cool info guys!... Jparrette if ur doing 90min ur obviously either topping off with water or accounting for evaporation right?

Accounting for evaporation. I boil on my stove, which on its most powerful burner boils off 10 gravity points in 90 minutes for an average strength beer. That is to say that 1.055 pre-boil ends up at 1.065 after a 90 minute boil.

Latest posts

Back