Boil steeping grains in wort to simulate decoction in extract brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SubjectB

Reaction score
The title says it all.

I've read that the reason why decoction mash doesn't extract tannins from the grains is because the wort it is boiling in is of lower pH than straight water.

So...

What if I dissolve some of the extract in boiling water, then throw my steeping grains in?

I should have paid closer attention to your title before asking a question. My bad.

Last edited:
This will not simulate a decoction at all.

Decoctions typically are used where the grain bill contains little or no specialty grains. Decoctions are really not indicated if there is a lot of roast/crystal malts in a recipe. In your case they would be 100% of the decoction grist.

Your plan is to boil only specialty grains (I'm guessing 1 pound or so of grains) in what i would guess to be under 0.5 quarts of wort.

I see there to be nothing of benefit to your skills (doing it for the sake of doing it) or your beer's flavor by doing this and would anticipate a detrimental outcome in the final beer.

I would expect it to completely change the flavor contribution of the steeping grains for the worse

TL,DR bad idea

Latest posts

Back