Boil Size/IBU help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Br3wb1e

Reaction score
SOOOOO..... I just recently purchased BeerSmith only to find out that I have been messing things up terribly with my boil sizes. I have been doing partial mash brews lately for time savings. (New mini brewmaster was born)

My recipes have been calling for 2.5 gallon boils and I have been doing about 5 gallon boils and thought I was getting infections or "off" flavors due to the intense HOP flavors. Normally I wouldn't whine about something being TOO hoppy but for certain styles just isn't good.

TO THE POINT!
---If I increase my boil size do I decrease my hop additions? Hop quantity? Boil time? HELP?!?!
:confused::confused::drunk:

If I increase my boil size do I decrease my hop additions?

basically bigger the boil size to the final volume less hops you use

I have been doing 7.5 boils boiling down to 6.5 gallons then adding make up water to 11.5 gallons

so I use more hops to get the same IBU as when I boil 12.5 gallons (full boils) down to 11.5

for me it is easier to cool the smaller boils doing a partial mash but with all grain I need to do a full boil

all the best

S_M

Thanks for the reply!! My last couple batches have come out super hoppy due to me trying to do full size boils. I'll have to play around with the recipes a little to figure it out. I want to keep it at least a 5 gallon boil because my kettle has to be filled to 5 gallons to read the temperature lol. Damn blichman! Maybe I'll just have to make 10 gallon batches now..... CHEERS!

Back