Boil Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree55Topz

Reaction score
Hey! I am brewing 5 gallons of an IPA using 6 lbs pale malt extract and 1lb light malt extract. I am planning on using 5 gallons of water for the boil, but my question is, is it better to put all 7 lbs of lme right when the boil starts or to portion it out, say half at the beginning and half at the end?

Oh and one more question.. I want to do a 60 min boil so I can vary when to add in my combination of hops. Is this to much for a lme boil?

I always did 25-30% at the beginning and added the rest at 15 minutes left in the boil.

This will give you better hop utilization and will help the beer not turn out so dark which is a common issue with extract.

I would start with 6 gallons (or a little more depending on your set up and boil off). This way you should finish with about 5-5.5 gallons into the fermenter. I always aim to get 5.5 gallons with my IPAs to account for hop/trub loss and to account for any dry hopping

Tree55Topz said:
Oh and one more question.. I want to do a 60 min boil so I can vary when to add in my combination of hops. Is this to much for a lme boil?

Nope, it is not too much. You should still do a 60 minute boil with extracts.

Back