Boil Off and Weather

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEPNew2Brew

Reaction score
My boil off sees to swing between about 1.2 to 1.5 gallons per hour and seems to be weather dependent. Higher humidity days - less boil off; dry, cool days, more; windy, less.

I try to control for the wind by setting up wind screens, etc. But, there still seems to be a difference between wind and no wind.

Do you adjust your boil off rate for the weather?

Just trying to get an idea of what other brewers do.

Thank you.

I always brew 1 to 1-1/2 gallons extra that I use to make a starter for my next brew. The differing boil off rates only effect this extra amount so it doesn't really matter. That and I'm in my garage so wind isn't a factor.

I have the same issue with different boil off rates, and mine used to be as much as a 1.5 gallon difference. I've ended up just adjusting my boil off rate for the weather, and I've created 'winter' and 'summer' profiles on beersmith to help compensate. Now i'm usually within a half gallon.

I had never thought of using any excess for future starters; that's a fantastic idea.

Boil off volumes is the biggest issue I fight every time. Since I live in the Nebraska Panhandle I fight both changes in humidity and wind. Our humidity can be as low as 30% and as high as 80% and the wind can go from 0-50 mph in the course of a few minutes. I typically brew inside my 24x24 garage so I can minimize the wind, but I find I can raise the humidity and slow my boil off if I'm not careful, even with the door open enough to ensure proper circulation so I don't suffocate! I boil for 90 min so I have more time to adjust the boil rate if something doesn't look right. After 30 minute I measure my wort volume and adjust the burners if need be.

Back