Boil off 1 gallon batch vs. 10

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heathcom

Reaction score
Is there any negative effects brewing a 1 gallon batch compared to 10?
The question came to me while making a small batch. For 1 gallon brews the boil off is 50% of the total wort. For 10 gallons its 1/10th the total wort. Does it matter since its just water vapor?

It will matter in a sense that your target OG will change in relation to the size batch you're making. The less water in the batch, the more significant your error will be.

Sounds like your setup works well with your 10 gallon boil, and at least you're paying attention. Maybe turn down the burner with your smaller batches. A champion brewer once told me that there really isn't much of a difference between a rolling hard boil and 'soft' boil with regards to the end product.

So I should focus more on getting closer to the one gallon mark and a slow boil than getting 2 gallons and burning most of it off? Makes sense. Thanks for the info!

Back