Boil Kettle - Switch between 120/240

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Dean

Reaction score
So I currently run a very simple electric setup. My kettle has a 5500 element plugged into my spa panel for gfci protection and then into 3 prong dryer outlet. I have no control over the power output to the element, but for the size of my kettle and batch sizes it hasn't been a problem (it's a very vigorous boil for sure). There are times I would like to be able to run the element with 120v. I understand this will cut the heating output of my element to about 1375 watts, but for 1-3 gallon batches that will work fine. It would also give me the option of taking my kettle to a friend's house to brew even if 240 isn't easily accessible or to use the Inkbird IPB-16 if I wanted to start doing some mash recirculation. Any suggestions for easily being able to change between using my kettle on 240 and 120 volts. I found this adapter on amazon that would let me plug my kettle in and then plug into 120v gfci outlet, it is $50. Any other ideas? Thank you so much.

240:120 adapter.jpg

You could make that by purchasing a 120v 12awg 15A extension cord cut off the receptacle end and wiring a 240v receptacle to the end for less than half that price.

Thanks for your response. I saw a couple of those RV cords, but the ground prong on my cord is L shaped and all the RV ones I saw accept just the straight ground prong.

If I were to follow your first suggestion would I just install the 240v receptacle into a gang box, wire the extension cord to that and apply some type of cord grip? Am I over complicating things?

Back