Bohemian Pilsner Malt for IPA's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndMan3030

Reaction score
I know lots of DFH 90 Min clones use this malt. I myself have brewed with it for an IPA as well, but it was years ago. Anyone else use pilsner malt for IPA's often? If so does it work well with many types of hops? Looking to brew an IPA with Warrior for bittering and my homegrown Columbus for late addition, flameout, and dry hopping.

:pipe:

I've think I read somewhere that DFH uses pilsner malt for their IPAs. I know on Jamils clone podcast they got info from the brewery to use pilsner to clone their 120min IPA. Keep in mind that their IPAs are malty (for American IPAs), and that they probably use other malts to give it more flavor.

I'd put money on it that Stones Anniversary Ale this year, Götterdämmerung, was brewed with German Pilsner. They say it was brewed with all German ingredients so I'd have to believe that they used a large percentage of pilsner since the beer came out with a super low SRM. Tasty beer too.

Back