Bog Myrtle instead of Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe it's the May 2011 issue of BYO has a recipe for a Viking Invasion ale. A 5-gallon batch calls for 2 grams of sweet gale at 60 minutes. I generally like to do 1 gallon batches so to scale down we're talking a very small amount of this stuff. My question is - is this stuff really that bitter, or maybe a typo? What's everybody's experience with the bitterness of sweet gale?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I believe it's the May 2011 issue of BYO has a recipe for a Viking Invasion ale. A 5-gallon batch calls for 2 grams of sweet gale at 60 minutes. I generally like to do 1 gallon batches so to scale down we're talking a very small amount of this stuff. My question is - is this stuff really that bitter, or maybe a typo? What's everybody's experience with the bitterness of sweet gale?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The two times I used it I really didn't get much if any bitterness. Granted I still used hops in the beer so they could have masked it.

WayFrae, many homebrew stores do carry some brewing herbs... but it can be hit or miss as to what they have in stock. These are not very common items. However, there are lots of online sources out there. 2 of my favorite are:

Starwest-Botanicals.com
Wildweeds.com

As for bitterness of Sweet Gale, I do not find it be very bitter at all. Rather, it has a flowery aroma with a culinary spice character. Most recipes I've seen only use a gram or two of the dried herb in a 5-gallon batch.

Wormwood on the other hand is most certainly bitter and should be used with a light touch. :)
--LexusChris

Time to resurrect an old thread. Feb 1st is International Gruit Day! I think I might brew a small batch soon and then maybe a 5 gallon batch for international gruit day. Thank you Lexus Chris for your research and shared knowledge. I am thinking about following your recipe except using elderberries instead of the rosemary making it more fruity and less herby and earthy.

I am curious as to whether everyone keeps the herbs in during primary fermentation or only during the boil like hops.

I have done both boil only, and boil and post active fermentation together. You can get some super strong herbal character with both.. so I would recommend boil only for your first try.. unless you know you love the spices you are using.

I have used sweet gale in beer, wine and meads over the years. I can tell you when used in the right amounts it is great. When over used its like the worst IPA you have ever had. Rule of thumb (if you do not know the rule of thumb watch boon dock saints), is one gram per gallon you make. I do not like to boil with it. I use is at flame out (as I am cooling the wort) or I add it three days before I bottle. Sometimes I split amounts and use half at flame out and half three days before bottling. It pairs well with saffron; juniper; rosemary; camomile; white sage and the one hops that I have used is willamette and it works as well.

Back