boat load of problems need advice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobbop89

Reaction score
Ok so up to now I've only done juice wines I am attempting to make 3 gallons of apple wine with fresh apples I cleaned everything cut them (I could not crush them) put them in my primary and I have little to no room I got them covered with water and then added my campden and then accidently added my pectic enzyme I can't stir very well because of being no room and the apples are floating today will be 24 hours when I get to it will the apples sink eventually? And have I ruined this batch and the 25 pounds of apples I used. Totaly new to this and I only have one primary so far. What are my options and what do I do about the pectic enzyme/campden dilemma?

The apples probably won't ever sink. You don't have them contained in a mesh bag or anything? You didn't crush them?

What I do with apples that aren't crushed with a crusher is to freeze them first, so they are easier to smoosh up. Then, put them in the fermenter (still frozen) into very large mesh bags and let them thaw. Then add the boiling water and later pectin and later yeast. You really need to smash them up to get anything out of them. Can you try pouring them into a very large sanitized food-safe item (say, a huge cooler, or something), and sanitize your hands and smash them up?

Back