Board (but not BORED) Noob of the Female Ilk!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Temptd2

Gadget Gal
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, it usually escapes me that I should make an introductory - um - introduction when I come to a new board.

DH and I began brewing almost a year ago. He found this board some time back and liked it so much, and once he found out that there are forums on sausage and cheesemaking, cider, mead, rice wine - he convinced me to join too! :)

I just started a rice wine this past Monday, can't wait til it's done.

We'll be brewing a nice brown porter this weekend too.

Glad to be here amongst such great company! :mug:

Welcome! This is a great forum with lots of lively discussion. I may pick your brain about your rice wine... It has been on my list for a while, but I haven't been brave enough :)

Welcome to the addition, this is a great place full of inspiration, of food and libations!
I too started two batches of rice wine late last month and are coming along quite well and I am looking forward to the first taste.
:mug:

Welcome!

I always cringe inside when I hear of a new way to get even more obsessed with brewing and winemaking, and now we're talking about rice wine?!?! I think this is something that I need to get into now also. :D

LOL! Yooper, you are one of the posters herein on whom my DH relies for sage advice - and we've tried a couple of your recipes already too.

Yep, you gotta get on this rice wine bandwagon. It couldn't possible be any simpler. Of course I can't speak to the end result yet because I have just shy of three weeks to go but based on others' results on the rice wine thread, I have every expectation that it will be a) good or b) great! :)

Thanks, everyone, for the nice welcome! :ban:

Welcome!

I always cringe inside when I hear of a new way to get even more obsessed with brewing and winemaking, and now we're talking about rice wine?!?! I think this is something that I need to get into now also. :D

Come on Yoops, it's got a 350 page tread going on and you've never been enticed?

Hunting and fishing too? Can I be your new best friend?! :D

Soapmaking, haven't tried THAT yet but I've been making homecured bacon, salmon jerky, and am about to embark on sausagemaking too. Anybody got a recipe for Oscar Mayer bologna? LOL!

Welcome! Don't forget bread making, pizza making, and cooking. Somewhere in this forum are threads on dry aged beef, making spent grain flour, bacon, sourdough starters, and many other things to become obsessed with.
And plenty of beer too...

Oh, I've already been the sourdough route, I use spent grains in my breads, although I found that dehydrating them was tedious so I don't do that now, I just freeze them in 1 cup baggies and use them as-is (well, defrosted first!) in our bread.

We DO sprout/dehydrate/grind/use hard red winter wheat for the breads too.

Pizza, yep, got THAT covered too!

I've been "kitchen obsessed" for years so when I find something new - I'm ON IT! Gotta try the dry-aged beef though! :)

I have a long "how to" on soapmaking on this forum, but haven't updated it lately. After mastering regular soaps, I got into liquid soaps, gels, and shampoos. Since I had all the oils and shea butter and things, that led to lotion and body butter making as well as lip balms and things.

I don't hunt all that much. I do a little grouse hunting, and then deer hunting (both bow and rifle). Fishing is something we do all the time though, and we're both pretty obsessed with it!

I want to get a smoker and do some smoked fish. A good friend, now sadly deceased, would get some lake trout from Lake Superior and then smoke those and it was one of the best things ever.

We have a Little Chief smoker for fish and things like that, because it doesn't get over 150* in there (and that's on a sunny day, in full sun, with the black water smoker skeleton over it!) which is perfect for delicate things like fish.

We have a big offset smoker too (Brinkmann) which runs at about 200* when DH is doing a smoker run. It will go higher but he prefers the "low and slow" method. Turns out excellent brisket, pork shoulder, baby back ribs, hot wings, etc.

I've never been hunting - YET - but my fondest wish is to go hunting - wild pig, deer, elk, whatever. Some day I shall add this to my list of accomplishments! :D

Rice Wine? Hmmm... Might have to try that! My wife is going to be pissed if I get one more hobby...

Welcome! The rice wine sounds very interesting. I haven't tried that in years now, I'll have to pick up a bottle. As mentioned above there are all kinds of great threads on food and drink here, I recently got inspired by the chili thread, and the from scratch pizza thread is really calling!

Welcome! The rice wine sounds very interesting. I haven't tried that in years now, I'll have to pick up a bottle. As mentioned above there are all kinds of great threads on food and drink here, I recently got inspired by the chili thread, and the from scratch pizza thread is really calling!

Oh, and P.S. I think that -um- ANIMAL of unknown origin in your avatar is asking for MORE BEER! :)

OK, all you people, get busy and start some rice wine, and then post on that thread! How the hell else will I NEVER get through the whole thing? It has to speed ahead faster than I can read it! LOL!

Latest posts

Back