BM's Centennial Blonde, off flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewnoob1

Reaction score
So, last week I brewed BM's centennial blonde extract recipe.

5lbs Light DME
1lb Cara (steeped 160-165)
.25oz centennial x2 (45 min, 25 min)
.25oz cascade x2. (10min, flameout)

Everything went well, hop additions fine, about 1/3 DME at the start of the boil, the rest at flame out. Everything is good. OG 1.046.

I go and take a gravity reading today, it's 1.018 and still sweet so it has a ways to go. However, the flavor, I can't explain. Something seems way off. Color is fine, the hop aroma and flavor seems present, but the rest is very odd....and not in a pleasant way. I can't even describe the flavor. The best I can say is that it tastes almost chemically like crappy water with all sorts of stuff in it. Though I use the same tap water in all my brews. Is this brew known to have some off flavors during fermentation? Will it recover with time? Right now, I wouldn't drink it the way it is. This is my first blonde so im in different territory right now.

What temp are you fermenting at? What yeast did you use?

A week is awful early to be worrying about a beer. I do Cent. Blonde all the time, and don't like it until it's at least 5-6 weeks old, and that's with kegging.

RDWHAHB

Fermenting around 66-68. I've never had a beer with such an off flavor before. Im not thinking if drinking it right now, but was concerned about this blonde being horrible to the taste at a week in. was wondering if such an off flavor was normal and if it would improve with time. If not, I don't want to use up equipment and time for something that went wrong. Make sense?

It doesn't make sense unless you are using a strange yeast, or your water is messed up.

It should be lower than 1.018 as well if you are using extract and the right yeast.

Consider pitching some US-05 to clean it up.. but honestly just leave it be, and check it in 2 weeks.

Im using notty. Yeah, ill let it go a bit longer and draw a gravity sample. If it still tastes like crap, ill dump and redo it

It's hard to tell what it is unless you can be more specific about the off-flavour you taste (especially since it's so early yet). With the information at hand I'm thinking ferm temps and/or sanitizer left in the fermentor (unless you use no-rinse?).

I know, but the flavor isn't even beginning to be drinkable. I would think that I would have some off flavors, but I can't explain the taste. I won't dump anytime super soon, but due to my limited equipment, I don't want to tie up real estate for something that has no drinkability hope.

Brewnoob, it just so happens I bottled my first-ever Centennial Blonde yesterday, 12 days after brewing it.

I took samples all along. The ones I took 3-7 days after brewing (pretty much after primary ferm was wrapping up) were absolutely horrible. At 3 days it was a harsh alkaline taste, like sticking your tongue in baking soda. At 5 days it mellowed enough to be more closely identified as a combination of yeast, suspended CO2 and the harsh grapefruit twang of the hops. The sample I took just before bottling was sort of unpleasantly sour and astringent - actually reminded me a lot of dry, sour white wine, except without the pleasant finish. Any of that sound familiar?

That being said, I wouldn't dream of pitching this beer. I've never had an ale yet that tasted worth a damn before bottling & carbonating was finished, and to date I've never made an undrinkable beer. There's always a corner somewhere that the beer has to turn, and you have to let it get there.

That gives me some hope. Maybe I'll just let it ride for as long as I can stand it. However, I don't bottle...I keg. So, I'll let this go until the 3-4 week mark and test then. I was just under the impression that this type of beer was best drinking young and not aging very long. So, I was HIGHLY concerned haha. Thanks for the input guys.

Update: So, after 2 weeks, the flavor is still there. It's almost grassy like. Still not very tasty. I don't know if I can drink 5 gallons if it remains this way. It has calmed a bit, but still, that 1 flavor is very dominant. I haven't dry hopped or anything. Just boiled the extract recipe CM originally suggested. I'm going to wait 1 more week and check it next week before deciding to keg or dump. It doesn't look infected or anything, it's just an off flavor I can't describe. If another week doesn't cure it, it's going down the drain unfortunately.

Update: So, after 2 weeks, the flavor is still there. It's almost grassy like. Still not very tasty. I don't know if I can drink 5 gallons if it remains this way. It has calmed a bit, but still, that 1 flavor is very dominant. I haven't dry hopped or anything. Just boiled the extract recipe CM originally suggested. I'm going to wait 1 more week and check it next week before deciding to keg or dump. It doesn't look infected or anything, it's just an off flavor I can't describe. If another week doesn't cure it, it's going down the drain unfortunately.

Apologies for being a megatroll, but I want to know about your final outcome. Did you dump the brew???

Back