BMC will not, but Craft Brewers should list their ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I love it when I see a list of ingredients for any beer I drink. One of the reasons I originally started brewing was that I was diagnosed with an illness that's basically a delayed allergic reaction to certain foods (eosinophilic esophagitis). One of the foods I shouldn't eat is wheat, which is obviously a pretty common ingredient in beer. Eating wheat won't kill me, but it does slowly constrict my esophagus, and it causes pain.

My only issue is logistics. I mean, my ingredients list for the beer I brewed yesterday (in order of largest quantity to lowest, which is the traditional way):

Water
Malted Rye
Malted Barley
Hops
Malted wheat
Yeast
Yeast nutrient (inorganic nitrogen, organic nitrogen, magnesium sulfate, thiamine, folic acid, niacin, biotin and calcium pantothenate)
Calcium chloride
Gypsum (CaSO4)
Epsom Salt (MgSO4)
Lactic acid
Baking Soda (NaHCO3)

And yet I consider my beer to effectively have malt, hops, yeast and water. Everything else in there is either a water treatment or yeast nutrient, and is process-related. But I'd probably have to list them.

Meh asking for ingredients list is pretty silly. Why? So the crunchy hippy guy who has a imaginary sensitivity to GMOs can make sure acceptable ingredients are used when at the end of the day alcohol is a carcinogen anyway.

Awesome; spit coffee out my nose; hope you're happy.

You almost nailed this; the only change I'd make is that the crunchy hippie would call their imaginary sensitivity to GMOs an "allergy".

quote super long giant post here

Awesome. I'm surprised at how much we ended up agreeing on. Except for that whole free market economy thing; it's an idealized non-existent pipe dream. The goal of large companies is to restrict a free market and make sure it's not free any more. -The market just keeps getting freer and freer until you're free to chose whatever light lager you want to drink: B, M, C -the ultimately product of a "free market".

In order to keep a free market free, competition needs to be protected; regulatory controls on the big guys and a less constrained market for the little guys; that's an actual free market and it produces far more jobs than the type of market that we call a "free market".

No running water and electricity; your brew days must take forever. ;-)

Yes, I'm great at derailing threads...

My only issue is logistics. I mean, my ingredients list for the beer I brewed yesterday (in order of largest quantity to lowest, which is the traditional way):

Water
Malted Rye
Malted Barley
Hops
Malted wheat
Yeast
Yeast nutrient (inorganic nitrogen, organic nitrogen, magnesium sulfate, thiamine, folic acid, niacin, biotin and calcium pantothenate)
Calcium chloride
Gypsum (CaSO4)
Epsom Salt (MgSO4)
Lactic acid
Baking Soda (NaHCO3)

I spit into a jar and mailed it to an allergy testing center, they said I'm allergic to inorganic nitrogen; I also read a really great blog that said that any time you see "organic nitrogen" on a package that means it was produced from cow ****.

I don't want cow**** in my beer. That's why I just drink wine from a box; there can't be any bad chemicals in wine; it's for fancy people and there's a picture of a vineyard set upon rolling hills on the box.

Everyone also knows that calcium pantothenate is processed from the anal secretion of northamerican river otters, too... You're just as bad as Budweiser!

Is that certified non-GMO rye? Because I'm allergic to GMO rye, too; it gives me hives and stomach pains. -It's because they DNA spliced the rye with genes from ecoli so basically you're giving yourself ecoli every time you eat it, then it can continue to change your DNA after you eat it and that's where cancer comes from.

And biotin is produced by multinational Pharmaceutical companies who are just trying to keep us all sick. Do you know how much time I'm going to need to spend with my singing bowl to get my chi right after just READING about your beer?!? [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpw53tN6h8E[/ame]

*Tongue firmly in cheek*

Adam

Back