BMC newbies...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score

i've felt a vibe recently, and just want to tell the homebrew curious, BMC croud...just hold your tounge, you'll find the beer for you! :MUG:

Wouldn't an even cheaper alternative for BMC crowd be to get some distilled alcohol, put a few ml of it in a glass vof water along with a drop or 2 of yellow food coloring?

that's the attitude i was trying to fight against....people go "damn, i can make my own!" then all the sudden they're not allowed to because it has to be supreme....

and no i can distill a batch for $1.25 a 1.75l with a wheat germ sugar wash....so making your own is still cheaper...

to the homebrew curious, don't spaz at the elitists....you'll learn the basics and be on your way to making whatever beer, however good you deem worth the effort to put into....

that's the attitude i was trying to fight against....people go "damn, i can make my own!" then all the sudden they're not allowed to because it has to be supreme....

and no i can distill a batch for $1.25 a 1.75l with a wheat germ sugar wash....so making your own is still cheaper...

to the homebrew curious, don't spaz at the elitists....you'll learn the basics and be on your way to making whatever beer, however good you deem worth the effort to put into....
Don't get me wrong, if people want to home brew BMC lookalikes, break a leg!
I just can't understand why anyone would want to invest time and money to create something so bland and boring.

i really just think people make, amking your own sound harder then it actually is....so that the BMC crowd ends up keeping their lips where they are...which i think is a disservice to society,,,

Something that needs to be remembered is that to a LOT of people, "BMC" is beer. Sure, they see what we call beer but on their way to the BMC beer cooler to pick up a 30 pack. They see the $10-20 dollar 4/6 packs with fancy labels and no clue what is inside of them.
Every once in a while one of those people get a wild hair to maybe try to make their own beer. It's our "duty" to try to help them in that journey if they are looking for info and ask questions.
Sure, making a (good) BMC is hard, even for those with the best gear but that's what most noob's know as beer so that is their first goal, and to impress their fellow BMC drinkers.
We have all been there once, it's not really hard to maake beer and it doesn't take $1,000's of dollars of shiny to do it, $150 bucks and a couple cases of bottles and away you go. Follow the instructions and you will make beer.
Maybe I have strayed off of or even missed @bracconiere 's point, I've done that before. Liking BMC is OK, trying to make it is OK. Judging people for that, is NOT OK.
Rant over,
Happy New Year!
Cheers, :mug:
Joel B.

Another thing to consider, while we all prefer different styles, we're all beer lovers.

And the big monster(s), BMC, actually had a lot to do with the enabling our hobby.
I doubt malt and other ingredients would be available on the scale they are were it not for decades of growth of the commercial beer industry.
BMC, like it or not is a part of the puzzle and we benefit from trickle-down technology even while creating some of our own.

Liking BMC is OK, trying to make it is OK. Judging people for that, is NOT OK.

sorta what i was thinking...but more along the lines of, "sounds hard"..and i don't want ANYONE to be discouraged from even using pre hoped coopers kits...

adding the yeast is half the battle! "Yo, Brew!"
Another thing to consider, while we all prefer different styles, we're all beer lovers.

And the big monster(s), BMC, actually had a lot to do with the enabling our hobby.
I doubt malt and other ingredients would be available on the scale they are were it not for decades of growth of the commercial beer industry.
BMC, like it or not is a part of the puzzle and we benefit from trickle-down technology even while creating some of our own.

i've heard that BMC lobbyed against legalizing homebrewing?

sorta what i was thinking...but more along the lines of, "sounds hard"..and i don't want ANYONE to be discouraged from even using pre hoped coopers kits...

adding the yeast is half the battle! "Yo, Brew!"

i've heard that BMC lobbyed against legalizing homebrewing?
Not surprised, but like the phone company they built an infrastructure & supply chain that competitors ultimately took advantage of.

Not surprised, but like the phone company they built an infrastructure & supply chain that competitors ultimately took advantage of.

i thought BMC malted their own, and have patented contract hops?

but that's a side line to my drunken thought....i think, newbies should take the elitists in stride. and there should be more of a support group for people just curious about homebrewing....

(i mean like if i was new to this stuff, sometimes it sounds like i'd need to do all this in front of a laminar flow hood...)

i thought BMC malted their own, and have patented contract hops?
Here is an interesting document that explains the history of Barley in the US through 1978, about the time that homebrew was made legal again (Thanks Jimmy!).

https://naldc.nal.usda.gov/download/CAT85840110/PDF

It explains how the dedicated acreage to growing for malt VS the declining demand of Barley for animal feed.
That and the genetics behind yields that we now benefit from have helped keep the price reasonable.
Who malts it is a different story but someone has to grow it first.

It also credits the forecasted increase in beer drinking! :bigmug:

..i think, newbies should take the elitists in stride. and there should be more of a support group for people just curious about homebrewing....
I agree but it's hard to do that. Noob's come here and ask noobie questions. They don't want to hear that their beer is going to be crap. They want/need to hear that beer is resilient and most times a mistake here or there, it will still be OK and still be beer.
I had a long winded rant going but I resisted.
Cheers, :mug:
Joel B.

They want/need to hear that beer is resilient and most times a mistake here or there, it will still be OK and

still better then milwaukee's best! 🤣

and the advice, that there is a such thing as trim in beer brewing..."dark grain".. that's why they use trim in carpentry because no one can saw a perfectly straight line by hand. but a table saw can cut a big long peice to cover up your "mistakes"....

at least that's my understanding of trim, AND dark malt....

Don't get me wrong, if people want to home brew BMC lookalikes, break a leg!
I just can't understand why anyone would want to invest time and money to create something so bland and boring.
Just because it looks like BMC, doesn’t make it bland and boring. I guarantee this has much more flavor. It’s also nearly as easy to make as anything else I brew. 100% Pilsner malt, Tettnang & Mittelfrueh hops, water, yeast.
F343ECA1-1D2A-40F4-BC1A-6C60C2788DD0.jpeg

Just because it looks like BMC, doesn’t make it bland and boring. I guarantee this has much more flavor. It’s also nearly as easy to make as anything else I brew. 100% Pilsner malt, Tettnang & Mittelfrueh hops, water, yeast.
View attachment 754403

looks smooth AND creamy! out of curiosity how long did you have to spend working on the perfect recipie? ;) :mug:

looks smooth AND creamy! out of curiosity how long did you have to spend working on the perfect recipie? ;) :mug:
Not long at all. I have this German Pilsner recipe and a pseudo Bo-pils recipe that I alternate. Both are just adaptations of published recipes from the internet and a big online homebrew supply shop. I tweaked them to work with my system. Dry yeast and kegged when done. Nothing complicated.

Simplicity is deceptive. A fancy stained glass window can be pretty awe inspiring even with a century or so of grime. A simple plate glass better be spotless. There's skill involved in @camonick's impressive example above. Simple, easy, sure. But it isn't his first or 12th batch.

Often times when I read something denigrating BMC as crap beer it's acknowledged at the same time how damned hard it is to brew a clone.

That's not to disagree with anything @bracconiere's saying about meeting a new brewer where they are. I'd venture a guess that most of us started off with some pretty crappy kit beers. I know I did. And I was extremely proud of those mediocre beers.

Simplicity is deceptive. A fancy stained glass window can be pretty awe inspiring even with a century or so of grime. A simple plate glass better be spotless. There's skill involved in @camonick's impressive example above. Simple, easy, sure. But it isn't his first or 12th batch.

Often times when I read something denigrating BMC as crap beer it's acknowledged at the same time how damned hard it is to brew a clone.

That's not to disagree with anything @bracconiere's saying about meeting a new brewer where they are. I'd venture a guess that most of us started off with some pretty crappy kit beers. I know I did. And I was extremely proud of those mediocre beers.
Definitely. I scorched the hell out of my very first try (extract kit) on the stovetop. I’ve also dumped quite a few batches too.

saying about meeting a new brewer where they are. I'd venture a guess that most of us started off with some pretty crappy kit beers.

maybe that's what i'm saying, my first batch didn't work out...it was an extract batch. but i was ~18 and to this day don't know why it wouldn't ferment. but as 18 year old, that chuged kessler whiskey as a 14 year old, just knowing i could i said to myself...maybe all grain? and presto it worked out!

and my memory is not good enough to even try to figure out why an extract batch wouldn't ferment?

but really let's face it, an extra fridge and some cheap apple juice with yeast added to it is enough for you to stand up to the mighty InBev, with some simple kegging equipment of course.....and honestly, probably be able to get away with using one fridge and just sticking one keg in it....

Back