BMC Flavoring syrups??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw this today too. Curious to hear if anyone has used them.

Bud Light 18pk - $14.00
On Tap Pale Ale bottle - $5.00
Total - $19.00
Price per 12oz beer - $1.06

SNPA 24pk - $25.00
Price per 12oz beer - $1.04

Based on current Bevmo pricing.

Incredible. Do they also sell something you can spray on a McDonald's burger to turn it into a Nimun Ranch steak?

No carbs, no calories, no alcohol, but great beer flavor? No thanks.

whoa, didnt see that. What is in it??

I just thought it was an interesting idea.

the question is, could we make a "homebrew" version of this stuff with real ingredients?

Theoretically you could make a hopped syrup and back into the dosed FG of a pint of BMC, to match to the bitterness. Im guessing aroma and flavor from the hops would get somewhat lost.

whoa, didnt see that. What is in it??
That's what I was wondering, I'd love to see the ingredient list.

I just thought it was an interesting idea.

the question is, could we make a "homebrew" version of this stuff with real ingredients?

Theoretically you could make a hopped syrup and back into the dosed FG of a pint of BMC, to match to the bitterness. Im guessing aroma and flavor from the hops would get somewhat lost.
A friend of mine infuses vodka with his homegrown hops. Good for spicing up boring beers.

What if you put this crap into a real beer. I think then the apocalypse would actually happen.

Please post review!

BTW, I noted that all of the retail places are in Colorado...perhaps someone's been hitting the medicinal weed to come up with an idea like this!

That would explain a lot.

I need a really crappy beer to dump this into. I'm thinking one of those 64 calorie 'flavored waters' they are passing off as beer. I'm guessing this is just some sort of colored hop extract.

These showed up in the mail today. I just finished a Great Lakes Lake Erie Monster IIPA, so I can't give them a real review yet. I will pickup some crappy beer tomorrow and provide a full report.

These showed up in the mail today. I just finished a Great Lakes Lake Erie Monster IIPA, so I can't give them a real review yet. I will pickup some crappy beer tomorrow and provide a full report.

Appreciate the sacrifice. Can't wait to hear how these taste..

Very curious about this... Have some Naragansett I was "gifted" not long ago that this just might help to consume. More likely it's a complete train wreck, but I'm interested to see either way.

I did pop open the pale ale and gave it the sniff test. I was expecting hops. I didn't detect that. Best way to describe it is is a 'burnt sugar' aroma. I'm looking forward to see what it tastes like.

I did pop open the pale ale and gave it the sniff test. I was expecting hops. I didn't detect that. Best way to describe it is is a 'burnt sugar' aroma. I'm looking forward to see what it tastes like.

So it's "Pale Ale flavor" for people who don't know what a pale ale is? Looking forward to your results and thank you for falling on this grenade for the rest of us.

Review:

So I picked up some Coronas for my test. I popped each beer flavoring and took a good whiff to get an idea of what they were going for. I added 2 squirts of flavor enhancer to each bottle of corona. The flavor enhancer says that each container will treat 18 beers. I have no idea whether I added the correct amount to each bottle, since there was no way to measure.

I encountered my first issue when I added the enhancer. It foamed up pretty good. It was obvious that I needed to mix it up somehow, so I put my thumb on each beer bottle and slowly inverted I to mix it up. That of course resulted in a foamy mess. I think adding this to a glass is a better idea.

I tasted the pale ale, then the American ale.

Pale Ale:

I smelled the enhancer first. It had a burnt sugar and slight citrus smell to it. It was a pretty strong smell. Not unpleasant, but not pleasant either. I didn't smell hops, which is what I expected.

Here are the ingredients:
water, propylene glycol, natural and artificial flavors, and a bunch of artificial colors.

After I added it to the corona and mixed it I took a sip. The first few tastes weren't great. There was a noticeable aftertaste. It was kind of chemically. It wasn't bad, but it bothered me. It went away after the fourth sip. That, or I just got used to it. I think the idea here was to add malt flavor. I think hops would have made it a little better. Overall, it tasted OK. I wouldn't go out of my way to get a beer that tasted like this, but it improved the flavor of the corona. It just took a few sips to get there. I'd give it 1/2 a thumbs up. For the price I don't think it's worth it. I was expecting it to taste like ass and it didn't. I was surprised. The aftertaste is a problem.

American Ale:
I smelled the enhancer first. It had a strong burnt sugar/coffee smell to it. It smells exactly like an RIS. It was a pretty strong smell. It actually smelled pretty good.

Here are the ingredients:
water, propylene glycol, glycerine, natural and artificial flavors.

After I added it to the corona and mixed it I took a sip. There was a noticeable aftertaste like the first one, but less chemically. I have to admit I liked this one. Again, I think the idea here was to add malt flavor. This one was also a little more bitter. It works. I'd give it 1 thumbs up. For the price I still don't think it's worth it.

Overall:
I probably wouldn't buy this again. It's expensive and I still don't really get what they were going for with this. It doesn't make the beer taste like craft beer. It just makes it taste a little sweeter, and maybe adds a little bitterness. Plus, I can't get the smell of it off my hands.

I think a bottle of hop extract would be a better product. You could have different hops in liquid form. Add some citra or cascade to your BMC? I could see myself using that to add a little pop to a corona or a bud. Anyone want to help fund that?

My wife says we(she) have to at least try it, i'm like... what ever... she would like to add it to something like bud55. as we all know homebrew is not the lowest in calories. So for her to add it to bud55, it might give her something with more flavor but reduced calories. if it helps her, i'm like sure go for it.

i tried a Stella with some drops of a hop extract added not to long ago, it definitely added to the over all enjoyment of that brew. i thought Stella was a decent beer before, for what it was.

ColeR-

Very curious about this... Have some Naragansett I was "gifted" not long ago that this just might help to consume. More likely it's a complete train wreck, but I'm interested to see either way.

Hey there's nothing wrong with Narragansett! It's hands down my favorite cheap beer, I'll take it over High Life or PBR any day.

I think I'd bring some hop extract in a dropper bottle with me to somewhere with crappy beers. I can take the hop bag from one keg and throw it into another if I think it's bland and it instantly helps the beer I toss it into. Hops are SOOO important to good beer. The vodka solution (probably with cascade as a good all-around hop) would be intriguing. Especially if you plate filter it for clarity, though I wouldn't really care.

But I wonder, what happens if you boil down finished beer to a thicker liquid, like hopped extract except it's already fermented, so not real sweet? That would seem to be appropriate for those low-cal or light beers.

I wonder if Corona was the best beer to test this on...that's a distinct mexican (sort of) beer. I'd have tried Bud 55 or MGD64 or something.

I thought about some super low-calorie beer like MGD64, but I couldn't find any. My beer store doesn't seem to carry it. I picked Corona because I've alway thought it was pretty bland. I won't even drink it unless there's a lime in there. If I run across some Bud Lite I might give it a try with that. I have 34 beers worth of drops left, so I'll do some experimenting.

Honestly I kinda liked the American Ale, so I will probably add that to a few more BMC beers and see what happens.

I think I might make some hop teas though. I'm starting to like the idea of creating some hop extracts.

My wife says we(she) have to at least try it, i'm like... what ever... she would like to add it to something like bud55. as we all know homebrew is not the lowest in calories. So for her to add it to bud55, it might give her something with more flavor but reduced calories. if it helps her, i'm like sure go for it.

ColeR-

I brewed a Belgian table beer that's 83 calories per 12 oz bottle. I haven't ever tried the super low cal lite beers, but I'm betting this one has more flavor. Search for the schoolhouse tafelbier recipe online. It was in Zymurgy a few years ago.

Latest posts

Back