Blueberry Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bake985

Reaction score
I am brewing a NB American Wheat extract kit this weekend. I wanted to make it a blueberry for the summer months. I have read a lot of threads and wasn't sure what the best way to do this. My plan was to rack onto 5 lbs of blueberries and then put 2 oz of blueberry extract in bottling bucket. I am looking for a blueberry flavor but nothing artificial. Any suggestions or help would be great appreciated. Cheers.

I would go with your 5 lb plan and taste it before adding any extract. I think extracts just taste artificial and I am disappointed with all the commercial fruit beers I have tried. I make an ag raspberry wheat and rack onto 3 lbs of smashed up frozen raspberries. Let it sit for two weeks and bottle with no extract. It is awesome!. I would go with fresh picked (by you) or frozen.

Oh and have fun waiting for two months for it to be perfect. mine gets right at about 5-6 weeks in the bottles.

Cheers

I would stay away from extracts too. I made a blueberry ale with extract and it tastes like a mix of syrup and sweat and low. I also just made a razz wheat and racked it on 3lbs of frozen raspberries for 3 weeks. Not only did I get flavor and aroma but the color is awesome. I would imagine the blueberries would do the same.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Are you guys racking right from the boil onto the fruit or are you racking for a secondary right onto the fruit. Thanks!

Back