Blueberry berliner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhoDatDad78

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello All,
I'm contemplating a Blueberry Berliner Weisse. I've never brewed either a BW or with blueberries. Really, I've never successfully brewed with fruit period.

With that being said, I'll probably do a basic 50/50 split Pilz/Wheat. Any tips for the BW and or brewing with BB's?

Are you planning to do a kettle sour or a "live bacteria in the fermenter" Berliner Weisse? The two approaches are very different.

On the blueberries... I haven't used them alone, but have in combination with other fruit, in secondary. My best guess for solo blueberries would be about 1.2 pounds per gallon for "not too subtle" and "not overwhelming."

For a very basic BW you can add about a lb of acid malt for a 5 gal batch. Doesn't have the complexity of using bugs, but with BB in the mix it won't matter much. I recently used Trader Joes blueberry juice in a mead. Don't know how it is yet, still in the fermenter. If I had a second 2 gal fermonster I'd rack onto some berries. If you are using real berries you may want to use some pectinase for 24 before putting it into the beer. :mug:

If you are using real berries you may want to use some pectinase for 24 before putting it into the beer.

My experience with blueberries used in secondary (as opposed to the boil) is that there's no need for pectinase. The beer will drop astonishingly bright with a little time in the keg.

For a very basic BW you can add about a lb of acid malt for a 5 gal batch. Doesn't have the complexity of using bugs, but with BB in the mix it won't matter much. I recently used Trader Joes blueberry juice in a mead. Don't know how it is yet, still in the fermenter. If I had a second 2 gal fermonster I'd rack onto some berries. If you are using real berries you may want to use some pectinase for 24 before putting it into the beer. :mug:
Pectinase for clarity? I ask because I don't typically care about clarity, more concerned about flavor and that blue (purple) color.

Pectinase for clarity? I ask because I don't typically care about clarity, more concerned about flavor and that blue (purple) color.
yeah, generally, but then it is a wheat beer anyway so it's supposed to be a little hazy. The pectinase is also supposed to help get more of the juice out of your fruit. I have not used it as yet, but that is what I have read on here. You freeze and mash, then add the enzyme for like a day or so at room temp.

yeah, generally, but then it is a wheat beer anyway so it's supposed to be a little hazy. The pectinase is also supposed to help get more of the juice out of your fruit. I have not used it as yet, but that is what I have read on here. You freeze and mash, then add the enzyme for like a day or so at room temp.
So in this instance you combine berries and enzyme after freezing and crushing them. Then let sit for a day, add Camden tablets, let sit another day then add to secondary?

Are you planning to do a kettle sour or a "live bacteria in the fermenter" Berliner Weisse? The two approaches are very different.

On the blueberries... I haven't used them alone, but have in combination with other fruit, in secondary. My best guess for solo blueberries would be about 1.2 pounds per gallon for "not too subtle" and "not overwhelming."
I'm not a huge sour fan, but love blueberries, so whichever would allow a slight tang in the Berliner style, but with the blueberry hue and taste.

I'm not a huge sour fan, but love blueberries, so whichever would allow a slight tang in the Berliner style, but with the blueberry hue and taste.

Either method can make beers with a range of sourness. A kettle sour would be easier to control, because you do the souring before the sacch (beer yeast) fermentation, and you can monitor the souring and stop it (by boiling) whenever you want.

If you're not a sour fan, have you considered adding blueberries to a clean ale rather than a Berliner?

So in this instance you combine berries and enzyme after freezing and crushing them. Then let sit for a day, add Camden tablets, let sit another day then add to secondary?

You can do something like that, and I'm sure @cmac62 can advise you as to how, but you should be aware that it's not a common practice at all for beer.

Either method can make beers with a range of sourness. A kettle sour would be easier to control, because you do the souring before the sacch (beer yeast) fermentation, and you can monitor the souring and stop it (by boiling) whenever you want.

If you're not a sour fan, have you considered adding blueberries to a clean ale rather than a Berliner?

You can do something like that, and I'm sure @cmac62 can advise you as to how, but you should be aware that it's not a common practice at all for beer.
Yeah, I do like Berliners though. I don't care for sours that are over the top with the sourness. A nice cold Berliner after mowing the lawn in this Texas heat can hit the spot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if Camden will stop the enzymes, may have to look that up, if not put them in together. I'd probably just use frozen BBs, thaw, enzyme and rack onto them is secondary. Full disclosure. I have never done this, but its what I would try for a first, and I have the frozen BBs and some P enzyme and a 2 gal batch of Kveik BB BOMM in primary now. I just need a second small fermenter so I can minimize the headspace on the secondary. Good luck :mug:

Latest posts

Back