Blue HDPE barrels for long term storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dye4me

Reaction score
I've reached a point where using 15gallon snakes misbecoming a PITA for long term storage of sour beers. I've been thinking about trying new HDPE blue barrels. I know we've all seen the chart in our favourite badly written sour brew book, but I notice that chart does not speak to the effectiveness of the excellent sealing properties and wall thickness found on blue hope barrels.

So has anybody actually ever tried a blue 55 gallon hdpe opened head barrel with a proper gasket and lock ring for long term storage?

I've seen people use those 15 gal barrels as fermentation vessels and you would think they hold up to oxidation given they are frequently used to ship LME, honey and other food and beverage ingredients. I don't have specific data on these barrels but if people brew sour beer in the typical 7.9 gal buckets without problems I don't see why a larger, thicker barrel would be any worse.

Back