Blue beer: lets beat this dead horse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so0o0o0o
22 reviews so far average is about a 3.75 with some 5 and a .5 for a "watery" beer because there is some odd problem with the nitro tap that doesn't make sense to me. not to many tasting notes people are to amped about it being "purple" with that said its pretty damn purple....i failed at my first attempt at blue beer, at least a stable blue beer.I still need to try a few more times or its this is still up to the community to figure out.
there is also some people up set on instgram about me stealing their recipe. ... ****in jelly basterds. I(you guys) helped me make this beer from the ground up.

Last edited:
so0o0o0o
22 reviews so far average is about a 3.75 with some 5 and a .5 for a "watery" beer because there is some odd problem with the nitro tap that doesn't make sense to me. not to many tasting notes people are to amped about it being "purple" with that said its pretty damn purple....i failed at my first attempt at blue beer, at least a stable blue beer.I still need to try a few more times or its this is still up to the community to figure out.
there is also some people up set on instgram about me stealing their recipe. ... ****in jelly basterds. I(you guys) helped me make this beer from the ground up.

haha instadumb.

Going hard right now talking about how he posted his recipe online.I wish he posted in this thread and helped me obtain what i was going for/ what the community wants obtain.but if he wanted blue his beer was a fail to.
Ben Alan/ copp, you on here?anyone know him? i dont have an instgram and i really dont care enough to make one and defend myself.he can come here if he wants and read the step by step break down of how i came to the grain bill at the end.

Last edited:
Well this beer got 40 ratings with a 3.77 on untapped its all gone except for 20Liters thats not nitro and the 15 gallons that is getting long term soured.
decent beer, fun but a fail on the blue. a step in the right direction maybe but its purple- colbolt -magenta basically the BIV in roygbiv
I will post in here when i do a few more experiments but for now this is an open ended challenge to the community!
good luck to anyone who tries next, please post results.

Last edited:
Well this beer got 40 ratings with a 3.77 on untapped its all gone except for 20Liters thats not nitro and the 15 gallons that is getting long term soured.
decent beer, fun but a fail on the blue. a step in the right direction maybe but its purple- colbolt -magenta basically the BIV in roygbiv
I will post in here when i do a few more experiments but for now this is an open ended challenge to the community!

According to this article, that beer you mentioned in the first post uses Gardenias:
http://www.grubstreet.com/2014/10/abashiri-blue-beer.html

There's also a blue wine that apparently gets its color from anthocyanin and indigotine. It looks like you can get both of those on e-bay.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-un-fortunately-we-do/?utm_term=.c1b8ac6b204d

Anthocyanin is the blue pigment in many foods (and is Ph sensitive) including the butterfly pea flower.

I’m not familiar with indigotin.

fred.jpg

fred says real men don't care if they find it.

it was kind of boring. it has a 3.77 on untapped. with around 40 ratings. the over all is its not enough beer. i would up/add something to make it more malt forward.
All that aside its magenta or purple /cobalt but in no way a stable blue. the whole recipe can be altered if your not looking for blue.
Also the hops could be more forward but i pulled half of it for souring and had to keep the ibus low.
The remaining 14 gallons got artificial blue dye in the form of blue raspberry slushy mix and has a blue krussen/now pellical.

Last edited:
Water from melted icebergs....
Haaaaaaa!
Blue beer indeed. All this talk is getting in the way of me drinking good beer.
Gentlemen, goodnight!

So, tried making a blue beer with these flowers. Definitely didn't get blue as you can see from the pictures. Had high hopes during fermentation because it looked like a dark blue in the flask. However, pouring it into a glass, it's clearly NOT blue, LOL. Back to the drawing board...

20181127_182530.jpg
20181127_182514.jpg
20181121_160945.jpg

So, tried making a blue beer with these flowers. Definitely didn't get blue as you can see from the pictures. Had high hopes during fermentation because it looked like a dark blue in the flask. However, pouring it into a glass, it's clearly NOT blue, LOL. Back to the drawing board...

Play with the pH, this stuff appears to be pH-sensitive.

Haven't checked ph yet but i plan to. How would you raise the ph of a fermented beer? I saw somewhere that dry hopping raises ph? Any other ways?

In the first instance, just add vinegar or any other acid to reduce the pH of a sample and see what happens to the colour, and vice versa use baking soda or any other alkali to increase pH. As I mention above there's a commercial gin that relies on adding tonic water to change the colour.

Once you see what the response is and what pH you want, then you can figure out how to change it in a more beer-friendly way, we're just not quite sure how it responds yet.

Ok - so I don't think you will ever get blue because beer is inherently yellow/brown - adding blue only turns it purple - I think this has been fairly well established in this thread...

Start with taking the color out of beer via boiling with activated charcoal - can drop it below 1 srm.
https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2006046879A2/en

Then add blue food coloring or blueberries etc. (Not pea flower/blossoms)

To reiterate that the pea blossoms won't make a blue beer, I experimented with the pH sensitivity to see if I could get a palatable blue beer.

I took a very pale, passionfruit sour ale I made and added the blossoms. It turned it a nice purple color and at first I added a baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) solution until it turned a nice blue. I did a quick pH test with pH paper and it was around 6-7 when it turned blue. The original sample is on the right and the baking soda sample is on the left. It tasted awful. It was a little salty and a bit like alka-selzter. I don't recommend it.

Then, I added a calcium hydroxide solution, thinking it would be more palatable. It turned blue at the same pH and when I tried it, it straight up tasted like water. It was the strangest thing. There was absolutely no flavor. I couldn't even taste the passionfruit I added to the beer. Maybe if there were stronger flavors, they might come through, but it definitely didn't taste like beer.

I think the moral of the story is the pea blossoms make purple beer and I don't recommend neutralizing your beer, unless you want it to taste watery. Maybe blue spirulina might be worth exploring if you want to go the natural color route.
IMG_1457.JPG

I wouldn't bank on this beer achieving or keeping a foam stand, either. A certain amount of hop oil and protein is needed to bind to make foam and adjusting pH seems to have a detergent effect. Foam isn't really a byproduct you'd expect of wine, but most expect it with beer.

That's why I mentioned the foam angle.
Dissolved CO2 in the beer will render carbonic acid, so neutralizing to achieve the blue color will affect your bubbles.
I like those tiny bubbles in my beer, but if you look around the forums, there are people who DO drink wort tea (me) and also drink the raw ale.

To reiterate that the pea blossoms won't make a blue beer, I experimented with the pH sensitivity to see if I could get a palatable blue beer.

I took a very pale, passionfruit sour ale I made and added the blossoms. It turned it a nice purple color and at first I added a baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) solution until it turned a nice blue. I did a quick pH test with pH paper and it was around 6-7 when it turned blue. The original sample is on the right and the baking soda sample is on the left. It tasted awful. It was a little salty and a bit like alka-selzter. I don't recommend it.

Then, I added a calcium hydroxide solution, thinking it would be more palatable. It turned blue at the same pH and when I tried it, it straight up tasted like water. It was the strangest thing. There was absolutely no flavor. I couldn't even taste the passionfruit I added to the beer. Maybe if there were stronger flavors, they might come through, but it definitely didn't taste like beer.

I think the moral of the story is the pea blossoms make purple beer and I don't recommend neutralizing your beer, unless you want it to taste watery. Maybe blue spirulina might be worth exploring if you want to go the natural color route.
View attachment 600510

As it was already said, you started with a sour base... when the goal is to increase the pH close to neutrality.

Not sure I follow the rest, though. You tried to rise the pH of one batch with sodium bicarbonate, and of the other with calcium hydroxide? Or did you use both of these on the same batch?

The amount of sodium bicarbonate needed to neutralize a sour is indeed pretty certain to give it a strong sodium taste. As for calcium hydroxide... hmm, guess it's quite plausible that the calcium could bind a lot of flavor/aroma molecules. Probably would have needed something more aromatic and flavorful to begin with, and with a high base pH, definitely not a sour.

The flowers themselves are basic and while not as strong a neutralizer as sodium bicarbonate they are also mostly tasteless.

So technique is going to be as important as ingredients.

57238849624__AE50BDFC-E376-4DA9-A522-A3D22A52E673.JPG

This is a small bottle of an acidic wild berry wine that I put through a refining process to remove some color but preserve flavor, and used the flowers to neutralize the acidity.

If part of the beer is removed, refined in a similar way, additional flowers used to raise the pH and then added back to the bulk of the beer, if it’s basic enough when adding it back, it should pull it out of the purple/magenta color and make it more blue while still preserving the hoppy flavors.

IMG_2395.JPG

IMG_2396.JPG

Which I’m now trying to do.

@Rob2010SS Thats a great colour, I am amazed. Can you post a recepie or its a secret :D I would like to brew that same colour :p :D

@Rob2010SS Thats a great colour, I am amazed. Can you post a recepie or its a secret :D I would like to brew that same colour :p :D

I’ll post the complete process once I’m done.
I did start with Northern Brewer’s Prohibition Lager.

I’m A little concerned I stalled out the fermentation. My brewery has been fairly stable at 55° but there is currently 0 airlock activity.

And that is when I realized I forgot to get a starting gravity. [emoji29]

But the pH is at 4.7 and the color is that shades of blue-purple/magenta past attempts have achieved.

IMG_0030.JPG

So I’m making a yeast starter to add when I start the clearing process tomorrow. Just in case.

And I’ll be making an alcohol based extract of the flowers to make a neutralizing agent at the end before kegging.

It’s actually kind of cool, I can’t quite get the picture to show it
IMG_0030.JPG

But in different lights/angles it has different shades.

IMG_0030.JPG

For some context, this is the color of the corn sugar water I’m planning to use to clear the beer. And I think this is the blue that we all hope to achieve.

This has a pH of 5.8

Not that far off from my Fermented beer so far.

I do believe that I’m on the right track to make the first true blue beer.

I’m sure some beer purists out there would crucify me for this…

I found that adding a wash of water plus corn sugar for a similar SG boiled with the same hop addition time/ratio as the original into the brew during secondary will lighten the color and make the end result a lot clearer.

It’s something I first started with wine and juice concentrate to increase the ABV.

Gave it a try with a beer and corn sugar (without the hops the first time) and got a beer that tasted almost exactly like Coors Lite.

But that took color very well when I used koolaid flavor liquids to turn them into wine coolers.

Tried it again with a honey Amber this time using extra honey and the same hops and got a very crisp, clear amber beer that didn’t lose the hop notes.

So I figured since the wine coolers took artificial color so well, it might be the key to finally getting a true natural blue ale.

The final step I plan is to make an extract of the blue flowers to hopefully be able to move the final result from the fermented 4.7 pH to the unfermented (and color I hope for) 5.8 ph.

After that, my biggest concern is the kegging. Since I don’t have a nitro system, I’ll need to keg in CO2. Which forms carbonic acid. So it’s possible that even if it goes in the perfect blue, it might come back out with those Magenta tones.

Back