Blowtie spunding valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@marc1
Could do, but if the pipe coming out of final keg going to the collection bucket is long enough once the liquid in collection bucket reaches the level of the pipe you have a blowoff situation anyway with an " airlock".

And you better make sure that your fermentation vessel can hold some pressure. Pushing 5 gallons of liquid out through a 3 ft vertical tube is not a passive activity The cross section of that tube is small enough that it's going to take at least 10 psi over atmospheric to push everything through without any back pressure. And of course your system is going to have to be airtight across multiple kegs to get that pushed all the way through.

Can you explain how purging and sanitizing multiple daisy chained kegs works in practice?
I don't use so much sanitiser. It's wasteful and potentially harmful to friendly bugs and beasts in the environment. About 1-2L of sanitiser solution is more than enough for an FV, few kegs and tubing, and even usable for a while after that.

I purge air from the sanitised kegs by going FV gas/in to keg liquid/out and keg gas/in to keg liquid/out, etc. Without any liquid my floating dip tubes sit on the bottom of the keg(s) and CO2 from fermentation enters low enough for the air to be pushed out. Spunding fitted to gas/in on terminal keg. If available I daisy-chain 2 kegs and be about to pressure transfer (by bleeding pressure from receiving keg, i.e., 'sucking' over the beer), pressurise and even serve a bit, all using home captured CO2. Note I make half to single (5 Gallon) batches. Others might be making double batches of r more so might daisy-chain more kegs.

I don't use so much sanitiser. It's wasteful and potentially harmful to friendly bugs and beasts in the environment. About 1-2L of sanitiser solution is more than enough for an FV, few kegs and tubing, and even usable for a while after that.

I purge air from the sanitised kegs by going FV gas/in to keg liquid/out and keg gas/in to keg liquid/out, etc. Without any liquid my floating dip tubes sit on the bottom of the keg(s) and CO2 from fermentation enters low enough for the air to be pushed out. Spunding fitted to gas/in on terminal keg. If available I daisy-chain 2 kegs and be about to pressure transfer (by bleeding pressure from receiving keg, i.e., 'sucking' over the beer), pressurise and even serve a bit, all using home captured CO2. Note I make half to single (5 Gallon) batches. Others might be making double batches of r more so might daisy-chain more kegs.

I think the math shows a 5 gallon typical batch produces enough CO2 to fully purge O2 (to 5 ppb) from a single 5 gallon keg. I am unsure about half batch and multiple kegs.

I think the math shows a 5 gallon typical batch produces enough CO2 to fully purge O2 (to 5 ppb) from a single 5 gallon keg. I am unsure about half batch and multiple kegs.
If I'm doing a half batch it's fermented in a 19L corny keg with a 9L keg attached.

Back