Blowproof steam pasteurizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dusty1025

Reaction score
duplicate post from Pappers cider pasteurizing thread as not to hijack

I believe i have found a remedy to the fear of exploding bottles during pasteurization (aside from the precautions that have been discussed here a hundred times).
I have built a "blowproof" steam pasteurizer.

Its a 15.5 sanke with the rings cut off of both ends. I then split it in half lengthwise and added a 5.5 inch stainless filler panel then welded the two halves back together after putting a perforated rack across the bottom to sit my bottles on. I cut a hinged door in the top to put my bottles in and added a latching closure and a thermometer.

I then welded some legs on it so it sits above a propane two burner stove i bought from harbor freight.

I bottle in 32oz bottles so i designed it so i can pasteurize a 5 gallon batch at one time. It holds 25of the 32 ounce-rs. I add a gallon of water to the bottom of the chamber. crank up the heat to bring the chamber temp to 180F then back off the burners to maintain that temp and hold for 30 min. Then i cut the heat and let them cool overnight.

Hard to visualize i know. I have added pics to the members gallery for those interested. I haven't upgraded my account yet but i wanted to share this with all of my fellow "pasteurizers" out there.

Cheers
Dusty

https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/DSCN3733.JPG
https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/DSCN37311.JPG
https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/DSCN3730.JPG

Nice!!!! you might be able to use it as an autoclave as well. The keg rim legs are bad a$$ looking. great idea. :mug:

Nice!!!! you might be able to use it as an autoclave as well. The keg rim legs are bad a$$ looking. great idea. :mug:

thanks sanch. the legs weren't meant to be bad a$$ they were just what i had laying around. Autoclave steam sterilization temps of 270F are certainly possible with this, but its the negative pressure part i haven't quite figured out yet.

Is the sterilization requirement 270 degrees?, if so would a bottle tree built out of copper pipe and tube and fed with superheated steam work. Take a flash boiler like Sanch has built and you could hit and maintain the 270 degree steam temperature in under a minute.

I started working in surgery when i was 19yo so I've been around autoclave sterilization for quite some time now. the CDC guidelines for sterilization we follow are:
"Recognized minimum exposure periods for sterilization of wrapped healthcare supplies are 30 minutes at 121oC (250oF) in a gravity displacement sterilizer or 4 minutes at 132oC (270oC) in a prevacuum sterilizer"

This seems to be overkill for homebrewing in my opinion, the surgical sterilization parameters are designed ensure the death of every living thing because someones life may hang in the balance. I'm content with my starsan and 99.99% removal of microbes. It really takes a lot of effort to kill that other 0.01%.

Why do you want to pasteurize your home brew? None of the home brewers I know pasteurize their beer. IIRC, a 160*F water bath for 20 minutes was the traditional method. It's been awhile since I read that somewhere, so it may not be right.

Its for making sweet carbonated cider. pasteurization is the only good way to stop fermentation to retain some sweetness after bottle bottle conditioning to the proper level of carbonation.

Its for making sweet carbonated cider. pasteurization is the only good way to stop fermentation to retain some sweetness after bottle bottle conditioning to the proper level of carbonation.

Gotcha. I've always wanted to attempt a sweet sparkling cider. This may be the solution to my fear of exploding bottles. I want a cider that is less dry and still has some actual apple flavor remaining. What temp and for how long do you heat the bottles?

Never mind. I went back and read the OP where you said 180* for 30 min.

Back