Blowout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MASHturbator

Reaction score
I brewed last night and checked the fermentator and the airlock was bubbling nicely... I went back a few hours later to find the fermentor lid half open and the airlock filled with wort. Also a nice little mess to clean up. I resealed the lid but what should my next step be. Please help!!!

Should be fine. Had my first blowout and the beer ended up being one of my better brews. Just rig a blowoff tube and let the yeasties continue their assault of the sweet wort!

Search: "Blow off tube" It is a tube from the bucket to a catch vessel with some sanitizing solution in it. It is in effect a large airlock that allows the blow off to exet the fermenter.

Start EVERY fermentation with a blow off tube installed. It will save you from these clean ups.

Should be fine. Had my first blowout and the beer ended up being one of my better brews. Just rig a blowoff tube and let the yeasties continue their assault of the sweet wort!

Yup, a little clean up with a StarSan soaked paper towel, snap the lid back on and definitely replace that airlock with a blowoff setup ASAP.
I have the BO in place for every new brew for at least the first week.

Should i Remove the airlock completely and put the blowoff tube into the hole in the bucket or put the tube into the airlock

Just put the siphon tube into the fermentor and used a water jug to finish my makeshift blow off tube. Thanks for the help i hope nothing ruins this batch; really looking for to a Belgian Peach Wit this summer.

Should i Remove the airlock completely and put the blowoff tube into the hole in the bucket or put the tube into the airlock

Yes, or maybe no. If you have a violent ferment you could do without the airlock. No bacteria can swim fast enough to get past the outflow from your fermenter, be it liquid or just gas. When the ferment slows you can put the airlock back on.

Back