Blowoff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uwmgdman

Reaction score
In the nearly sixty batches I've brewed I never have had blowoff like this. This is a 1.092 barleywine with 2 packs of rehydrated Nottingham fermenting in the upper 60s. Only downfall loss of 1/3 of a gallon.

image-64124.jpg

I had one worse than that, but there was something seriously wrong with the fermentation. I harvested some Unibroue yeast from La Fin du Monde (or at least I thought it was their yeast) and used it for a BSDA. Turns out I was trying to ferment that stuff with a champagne yeast Unibroue uses for bottling. For over 7 days its spewed crap everywhere and entire batch was a waste...

The blowoff had stopped as of this morning, but fermentation was still going hard. The worst part is loses of just over 1/2 gallon of beer. At the peak of fermentation (when the picture was taken) the stream of co2 out of the blowoff tube alternated between a continuous stream and bubbles 4-5 times per second. One of the worst things for a barleywine is under attenuation IMO, I shouldn't have that problem. My basement is 62/63F which has kept the temperature in a reasonable range during the peak of fermentation 70-72F. Once things slow more I will move the beer to a spot in the upper 60s to ensure complete fermentation and allow for it to cleanup any by-products generated during the peak of fermentation and finally dry hop it.

Back