Blowoff water sucked back into fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmdick

Reaction score
As I was dry hopping the ipa I brewed 3 weeks ago I noticed that the water in my blow off vessel was lower than the last time I looked. I have read that temperature changes can cause this. My concern is that the water in my blowoff vessel looked like beer caused by the large amounts of foam blowoff that i had early in fermentation.Will the beer be drinkable since the few cups that I think sucked back into fermenter was probably sour beer? Any advice would be appreciated!

Could it simply be from evaporation? Can you see if the volume of your beer had increased? Yes, I've heard of blowoff water being sucked back into the fermenter because of large temperature changes--usually during cold crashing--but never from simple room temperature fluctuations.

The fermenter level seems to have risen slightly so I am fairly certain a few cups got sucked back. Will the beer be ok or will it taste sour? I have never had this happen but the temperature has dropped to around 60 a few nights since it is single digit temps at night and I heat with a wood burner.

Thanks for your input, I will bottle this weekend and hope for the best!

Back