Blow Off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frozengator

Reaction score
Had a pretty full fermenter so I used a blow off set up. Good thing I did. Now I was wondering do I change out my sanitized water in the container? It is all cloudy now

No but I also never seen where the stuff ends up in it either. That is where I was worried if that water can get contaminated.

the water is a block it is not going back up the tube
bateria falls with gravity
the force of co2 is pushing from the wort to the end of the tube
that said, I guess there can be a concern about in infection in the water. I just never have worried about it. It is your beer not mine so do as you wish.
I use a Speidel fermenter, it is a 7.9 gallon so I have 2.4 gallon head room, when I used glass carboys and only had 1 gallon head room I often used blow off tubes for beers I knew were going go off big. Using a quart jar for the bubbler I had quite a lot of stuff in there, I ASSUMED it was just blown off yeast and proteins. I never had a problem. HOWEVER ASSUMPTIONS are just that. I cannot guarantee it is correct. So IF you are uncomfortable, change it. Remember this is your beer.

IMO, no don't change sanitizer. Just dump it when done fermenting. My blow off always leaves the sanitizer kinda milky...dump it.

It's really no big deal to do. If it makes you feel better go for it. Dump it out and refill, not going to hurt a thing if you do.

Ended up waiting until bubbling slowed down and just put regular airlock on. I was jus worried seeing my blow off hose full of foam and the glass pitcher with sanitized water all milky. Didn't want any bacteria working back to fermentor. Everything is still looking good so I will keep an eye on it.

Back