Blow off needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madcore

Reaction score
Ok so not even 10 hrs into fermenting and I got what you see below. It's my Irish red ale a gallon and half head room and I have no tube that fits for a blow off.... Suggestions???? ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390610407.099977.jpg

Doesn't racking tubing fit the inside of those airlocks? Do you have some of that?

find a hardware store with 1 1/8" ID tubing, get ~4 ft, sanitize it and stick it into the opening of the carboy. other end goes into a small bucket of sanitizing solution like iodophor or starsan.

alternatively, you could fit a 1/2" ID piece of tubing over the center tube in the airlock and run that into a bucket of sanitizing solution too. do it soon or the top will pop.

edit: i'm sure there are a few sizes of tubing you could fit over the airlock tube, try some that you might have laying around

Just tried that on my extra lid and with some work yes it does Ty. After u finish my brew tonight I'll change it

Ok after you said 1/2 I thought of my saltwater tank and sure enough I had 1 1/2 tube I there that after heated up barely fit it's blowing away already. Man I should of thought of a blow off before now but always had enough head space.

i'm glad you were able to figure it out. keep some blowoff equipment around for the future because you never know when a batch wants to get crazy

I use a blow-off every time. Just part of my process now. It is very rarely needed, maybe once a year, but when it is needed, I'm really thankful for having it in place.

I still remember cleaning wort/beer off the ceiling many years ago when I first started. Not something I wish to repeat.

Suggestions? Go get a tube that makes a blow off tube ASAP silly.

I use a Better Bottle for fermentation. I ordered a #10 drilled stopper, took it to our local hardware store, and found the tubing that fit in the drilled hole. Bought 4 feet of that tubing, and I use the blow-off with EVERY batch I brew for the first 48 hours or so of fermentation. Cheap insurance, for sure!

glenn514:mug:

So after I made this I brewed another batch and decided to use the blow off again just incase. This morning I woke up to this and wow went to bed with just enough water in the bottom to hold the hose under and it's just about all the way full in just a few hours.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390743217.651336.jpg

And I agree that ill use the blow off from the start just incase for now on. Not sure how I didn't need one till now and both beers I just brewed both needed it.

Latest posts

Back