blood orange berliner weisse help/ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregkeller

Reaction score
So i'm thinking of trying to add a little fruit to my berliner weisse. I saw "cascade candy syrup" from morebeer and they had blood orange as one of the flavors. I picked up two containers, not quite sure how i plan on working them into the beer and am looking for some help/advice.

I haven't had great luck with sour worting, so i'm planning on pitching some wyeast lacto d. along with white labs lacto b. then a few days later pitching brett trois.

Where would you guys add the syrup? I'm thinking that maybe one container (1 lb) added when i add the brett would give a nice flavor. I've also thought about adding it at kegging to act a little like a traditional syrup and add some sweetness.

What do you guys think. I've got two containers, so could even add one at fermentation and then the other at kegging, but that's adding 2 lbs of sugar syrup to a 3.5% base beer. Have a feeling that might be a little too much.

Just made my first Berliner. I did a traditional sour mash and it got REALY SOUR. I then boiled, cooled, pitched Kolsch Yeast. I racked to secondary after 8 days (72% attenuated) and then added 1.25 gallons of pure tart cherry juice. It is still in the carboy but the flavor is real nice. I planned on a beer around 5%ish though. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1422231494.531387.jpgHere is a pic of high krausen in secondary after the cherry juice was added.

I feel like sugar is gonna be tough with a berliner, but I'd add it to the fermenter so as not to drive off the flavor.

I have done a blood orange berliner with actual blood oranges. I zested them then added the zest and semi-mashed fruit to the beer after soaking in vodka overnight. Worked out quite well.

Latest posts

Back