Blinder's Mild

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dingobitme

Reaction score
Blinders Mild

This was for 2, 6.5 gal batches...

Style: MildOG: 1.045
Type: All GrainFG: 1.016
Rating: 0.0ABV: 3.81 %
Calories: 148.56IBU's: 20.78
Efficiency: 90.00 %Boil Size: 14.90 Gals
Color: 17.8 SRM Batch Size: 12.00 Gals
Preboil OG: 1.038Boil Time: 90 minutes

Grains & Adjuncts
AmountPercentageNameTimeGravity
14.00 lbs 80.00 %Briess Ashburne Mild Ale Malt60 mins1.037
8.00 ozs 2.86 %English Chocolate Malt60 mins1.029
3.00 lbs 17.14 %English Medium Crystal60 mins1.034

Hops
AmountIBU'sNameTimeAA %
2.70 ozs 20.78Fuggles90 mins 4.50

Pitched a 1l starter of 1099 in one carboy and some reydrated Windsor in the other.

The Windsor ripped right into it at 20c, and the 1099 chilled out for 2 days or so at 18c. Fermented each for 7 days, crashed and kegged at 1.8 vol. I like the Windsor, but LOVE the 1099. Mild fruity and well accentuated malt and light roast. One of the best beers I've brewed and will again...

Inspired by the spectacular show Peaky Blinders and their love of dark milds...

1 act pkgsWhitbread AleWyeast Labs 1099
1 dry pkgsWindsorDanstar

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Love Milds and love the Peaky Blinders.

Tagging this in as I'll be needing another English to brew up once I get through lagers/Belgians.

Almost forgot, a couple of tablespoons of gypsum. The water up here is pretty soft (see the water report for Oskar blues or Lefthand brewing)

A bit of a modern reinterpretation but looks tasty! I've watched a couple of episodes, what year is it based on? Should be able to find some of the original recipes. I remember watching it with my wife and one of the first things I said was: "look, they got something right... they are all drinking mild!"

Modern for sure! I guess I shoulda used MO, but I wanted to try that mild malt. I loved the scenes (pretty much every other episode) where they are all just dipping beer out of a metal bucket... I was hoping for a darkish/ruby color and hit it just about right. Now to find an appropriate bucket to serve it from!

Latest posts

Back