"Blind" Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPA99362

Reaction score
Last year I took cuttings from four varieties. Cascade did really well coming out of dormancy. While Comet, Willamette, Nugget were spotty at best. Has anyone ever heard of a blind hop start? The root system is very strong, but no noticeable buds forming. The plugs that popped have been planted and doing very well, while the others sit and do nothing. Anything will help!

Thanks! I will see what happens. The root system seems healthy. Just waiting for them to pop. Do you think vernalization would have anything to do with them coming out of dormancy?

1. are they first year plants?
2. rhizomes or shoot clippings?
3. how has the weather been?

and a side note my willamette plants tend to start late, not nugget tho.

Mine came up in this order over 4 weeks:

Nugget
Columbus
Sterling
Mt. Hood

Williamette is still not up. Mt. Hood is by far the tallest now and Columbus is the smallest. All have multiple bines. Williamette has roots and eyes, just refusing to start pushing up...gotta remain patient and then watch them take off!

First year plants from cuttings. Cuttings were taken last May and rooted out. Mid-summer shifted small plugs into a lager plugs (to prevent overgrowing). Plugs grew through summer/fall until freeze.

It has been cool and wet this spring. There liners are stored in a clear greenhouse that have the sides rolled up.

I want to take cuttings from the plants that are up, but don't want to waste my time if they will be 'blind'.

I appreciate all the help! Thanks

Latest posts

Back