Blichmanns floor burner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadm817

Reaction score
Have used the conventional stove for my brews but it takes forever to get 5 gals to boil.

Question one: do I have to buy a propane tank and fill it like I would my grill? What are all the ways I can get the gas? I saw something about natural gas conversion what does that mean?

Question two: how is this burner?

Thank you!!

The burner is awesome.

You can use a propane tank just like for your grill. You can fill it or exchange it at most hardware stores, some gas stations and other retailers. You can also use natural gas like you run some appliances with. You will need a gas line that you can hook it up to which may be harder for you depending on where your gas line is ran. You don't want to run a really long hose for natural gas because it will make your flame suffer.

All in all I would recommend the burner, then you just need to decide which route (propane or natural gas) is going to work for you.

1) Yes, you can just use a regular propane grill cylinder. I don't know about natural gas, as we don't have any LNG service here in southern VT.

2) A member of my brew club has one, and he absolutely loves it. He can't say enough good things about it. When I built my brew stand, I copied the measurements on the Blichmann's wind shield, and I haven't been disappointed.

Check with Blichman on conversion.. you may/may not be able to do it. If you can, usually you have to change the venturi in the burner.. then it'd work properly. Propane burns hotter than natural gas.. so, it would heat the water faster than natural gas… all things being equal.

I have one one and love it.. Huge flame area that is spread out over the bottom of the whole pot.. so there are no concentrated areas for scorching. That's not to say you can't scorch with it.. It just eliminates the heat all being concentrated in one small(er) area.

I love mine, it gets 8 gals of cold water to mash temps in about 20 mins and has no problem boiling 8+gals. Very well made too.

Latest posts

Back